Bamboo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Keep cutting it with the mower as it sprouts in the Spring / Summer. Ask me how I know.

Seems a waste to burn it, you need to find other uses for it. Start by building yourself a Tiki bar out back. Then start weaving it into 4x8 panels. One man's nuisance is another man's inspiration.

I'd like to get some of the giant, timber bamboo started on my place. Had some friends who had a beautiful stand of it, useful for all sorts of things. They died and their son stopped irrigating it. Took about 5 years, but it all died.

Seems a waste to burn it, you need to find other uses for it. Start by building yourself a Tiki bar out back. Then start weaving it into 4x8 panels. One man's nuisance is another man's inspiration.

I'd like to get some of the giant, timber bamboo started on my place. Had some friends who had a beautiful stand of it, useful for all sorts of things. They died and their son stopped irrigating it. Took about 5 years, but it all died.

I do use it any time I need a pole! The stuff I have seems to top out around 2.5" diameter.

I do use it any time I need a pole! The stuff I have seems to top out around 2.5" diameter.
It didn't look that big in the pictures. Too big to weave panels. Might be the big stuff growing in less than ideal conditions. In Jamaica (not Queens), the bamboo they build rafts from gets up to 4".

I'd like to have some rhizomes if you can spare them. ;)

I was in Florida last week and was wondering how good a palm tree would be for firewood, you have any of that lying around?

Only fires I saw in Vietnam were to cook on, but I didn't spend much time way up North where it gets cold in January. I also went no further North than Hanoi. All I remember seeing was those little electric portable heaters with fans.
Bamboo was the primary scaffolding material. Didn't seem safe to me but it was everywhere.