not getting much heat from harman xxv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W

Jan 20, 2011
Michigan
Hello again,.

Well it's about 10 degrees out and it's only 61 degrees in my house. I just can't seem to get much heat out of this thing for the last couple of days. the pellets are burning really slow (i have the feed set to under 3, and it is still pushing partially burnt pellets into the ash pan). Thought maybe it was the pellets, but have tried three different brands with no change. Was cleaned really well on Sunday. Would it make a difference if i change the air intake setting on the direct vent wall passthrough ( harman part #1-00-677077). any help would be appreciated, this is getting more frustrating than it is worth.

You have an air flow issue. Make sure the air supply under the burn pot is clear. loosen the wing nuts on the front of the burn pot and suck out the ash and silica that gathers there. Make sure that ALL of the air holes in the burn pot are free. There are 12 you cannot see on the rear slope of the burn pot, a nail punch will clear those out. Make sure the ESP off the exhaust is clean and make sure that the cleanout T or first upward angle of the vent is not obstructed with ash. Also, on the control board there is a small hole with a white set screw in it, you can rotate that clockwise to increase the voltage to the exhaust motor. Lastly, you should make sure that the exhaust motor impeller is clean. If you do all of this your problem should be gone.

Thanks alot for the quick reply.. I'll clean it good again, checking everything you suggested and let you know how it goes.

What does your venting consist of? Please list every part and the diameter. Also check the air intake on the wall thimble to make sure they removed the white insulation fromn the hole.

Eric

I just had the same problem you are going through. I printed off directions for cleaning a Harmon stove off a site online. Just do a good search on cleaning a Harmon pellet stove. Also, there is a great video on Youtube that is very helpful as well. After using these two resources, it was clear to me that I wasn't cleaning the stove completely. To do a thorough job, you have to take the esp probe out, clean it or maybe even replace it, take the vent pipe off so you can gain access to the back where you remove the probe, dust all motors or vacuum, and emptry the area that collects fines. The area that collects fines shoud be on the back side by the control panel. There is a wingnut holding the plate in place. As one of the above posters said, make sure the area under the burn pot is cleaned along with making sure the holes are clear in the burnpot. I used a nail to clean the hole as this is all I had available. To gain access to all holes make sure you remove the top plate of the burn pot as this makes it easier to see all the holes that need to be cleared. When I cleaned the areas described, I then knew why my stove was acting like yours. All the ash and soot were choking out the airflow resulting in 1/2 burned pellets. After I did all the cleaning, my stove works as good as new, and it is 8 years old.
Good luck

try sticking the stove in stove mode, mid range on the dial, feed at 3-1/2.......will ignore the room temp probe, and you should get a fair burn, with no partially burned pellets comng off the end.....just try it and see....if this doesnt fix it, THEN go ahead and clean your 2 week old stove, etc.......but, it shouldnt be dirty after only 2 weeks of use........

Jim44 said:
white insulation is still there.. should i remove it?

If the insulation is still in the air intake, that is your problem. Yes, take it out.

If the stove is only a few weeks old, apparently I wasn't paying close attenting, the cleaning I described above should not be needed until after the season. Your problem sounds more like the air intake is clogged as the above poster states.
Hopefully, this solves your issue.

Success!!! I took the back panel off to clean the fan and saw that the intake line was not connected to the stove. I connected it to stove, did a thorough cleaning and heat at last. Thanks to everyone on this forum, you guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.