not sure . . . clean burn might be part of my problem??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brunosrk

Oct 23, 2011
Western Wa
I've been having problems with my Breckwell P24I. Main problem is fire going out and pellets continuing to feed causing a major auger jam. I've had the system thoroughly cleaned (professionally) and a service tech checked the timing of the auger and the rest of the stove's electrical stuff last Friday. After all that I still had the same problem. Bought some pellets from Lowe's today and the stove has been burning without problems for about six hours now. Before this it would have have jammed and shut down after about 45 minutes or so. I still think I'll have the door seals replaced also. For it to run the damper setting needs to be almost closed all the way. Any feedback or comments?

brunosrk said:
.....Bought some pellets from Lowe's today and the stove has been burning without problems for about six hours now. Before this it would have have jammed and shut down after about 45 minutes or so.....

And the previous brand of pellets were ????? And they were how old? What brand are the new pellets?

Seems the new pellets have solved your problem.

imacman said:
brunosrk said:
.....Bought some pellets from Lowe's today and the stove has been burning without problems for about six hours now. Before this it would have have jammed and shut down after about 45 minutes or so.....

And the previous brand of pellets were ????? And they were how old? What brand are the new pellets?

Seems the new pellets have solved your problem.

As stated in the title, previous pellets were "clean burn" bought them from local hardware last Friday. Lowes stuff is "blazer premium".

Clean Burn is a good pellet...Douglas Fir. So are Blazers. Clean Burn...like the name implies does burn about as clean as anything I have seen. Both are of about the same size and length pellet, so I'm surprised that your stove likes one over the other. I've burned both with no problems. The Clean Burns are hotter than the Blazers. Are you sure the Clean Burns are not wet or something?

I have seen the Clean Burns run long. It never caused me a problem in all the years have been burning them. The only issue I have heard about with them running long, is the pellets bridging over the auger opening and not letting pellets feed.

When I got this stove going yesterday, it would not run for more then 5 or 10 minutes on low. The air supply was wide open, allowing the pellets to burn up faster then the auger could supply them. Cranked the air down and it has run for hours on end today on the lowest setting.

This is my third pellet stove and for the most part have have burned "Clean Burn" pellets exclusively since 2004.

Last night the hopper was just about out of the "Blazer Premium" from Lowes. (It had been running great since Sunday afternoon) So I topped it off with some "Clean Burn" I had on hand. Some time early this morning the fire went out and the auger jammed again. Given my previous experience I'm thinking as soon as the "Clean Burn" started to feed the problem re-occurred. I cleared the jam before getting ready for work and restarted the fire and it wouldn't burn or feed for more than 15 minutes before the fire went out. I bought some more Blazer Premium" from Lowes this afternoon. When I got home around 4:00 pm I vacuumed all the "Clean Burn" out and reloaded it with "Blazer Premium". It's almost 8:00 pm now and the "Blazer Premium" has been burning and feeding flawlessly. The pellet type was the only thing I changed. No other changes at all!! Really kinda surprised the big difference pellets can make. Prior to this I've burned "Clean Burn" for almost ten years with no problems. This whole thing is really baffling!!

How old is your stove? I wonder (at this is really grasping at straws) if the auger motor is not getting weak. Where in the past a long pellet would get cut by the auger,but its now jamming it.

I bring this up due to an auger jam on an older whitefield stove. Never did figure out the cause, other than the auger motor gave up the ghost a week later.

Status
Not open for further replies.