Not to bad, if I say so

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
Loaded it up at 3:30am and at 5:30pm still had coals to start a fire. The house was still at 74 and furnace was still at 180ish. Now its not to cold 34 out side but winds going 30mph or so.

always a pleasant sight after 12+ hours!

Glad to here it whatisup02. Tell me a little about this add on of yours.

Keep an eye on the chimney. While a burn like that is great, it will also accumulate creosote in the chimney.

Gasifier said:
Glad to here it whatisup02. Tell me a little about this add on of yours.

Its the same as a hotblast 2557.

laynes69 said:
Keep an eye on the chimney. While a burn like that is great, it will also accumulate creosote in the chimney.

I know. Thanks though, safty first. My wood is only so so. I think I'm going to clean the chimney in a week or two. That will put me only using it for 3-4 weeks. Does that sound good?

I'll peek down the chimney and see how things are before sweeping. I went about every month to every other when I had the old furnace.

Laynes69 how do you like the 1950? I was thinking of upgrading in a few years from the money ill be saving. Do you get more heat with less wood?

The 1950's were discontinued, but the Caddy by Psg is the same furnace. The difference between the old and new furnace is pretty big. The old furnace put out more btus at a given time, but burnt out much faster causing wide heat swings. I get an even heat over a longer burn making those swings less noticeable. Less wood, cleaner chimney, longer burns, etc. When we hit the low teens, after loading at 10:00 pm, I woke 10 hours later to a nice coal bed and a house at 70 degrees. My overnight load is half of the old furnace and I don't need rounds, I prefer splits now. Even a coal bed produces a bit of heat due to the secondary heat exchanger. The furnace does require well seasoned wood for best performance, but everyone should burn seasoned wood. Also the glass door is nice to see when to add fuel or view the fire.

How big is your house? How many cord do you burn a year in the old furnace vs. the new one? So far I like my furnace but I do burn "a lot" of wood. 2 big arm fulls to go all night and that's with the temps we have been having. I think when its colder out ill need more air for more heat and less burn time. The wife has been loving the house being so warm. We kept it at 67 when home and 63 at night. Its 75 in the house now.

Btw my house is 1700sqft and 1700sqft finished basment. I was hoping for 5 cord or less a year but I think I may have under estimated a bit.

Our house is 2400 sq ft 2 story home, both upper and lower story have 10' ceilings, and our basement is 1200 sq ft. Technically we are at the upper limits of our furnace, but there hasn't been a day it hasn't kept up. Our home is insulated well, but drafty. The old furnace probably seen between 7-10 cords a year. After we started using the new furnace I realized how much wood we burned prior. The first year with the new furnace we had less than seasoned wood and little attic insulation, 6.5 cords. The next season was much worse as far as temperatures and weather were concerned, better wood and some airsealing, 6.5 cords. This year we finished airsealing the attic and insulating, we will use no more than 5 cords. A cord and a half was punky, and a little over a half cord of slabwood. We cut consumption by at least 2 cords a year. We also would use about 200 gallons of propane because the old furnace would be out or close on the cold mornings, if I slept in it was over. Since we switched, the furnace has ran a few times and that's for me to test it. I remember one season purchasing wood in march, a little over a cord. At the beginning of April it was gone. We would have used maybe half that or less with the new furnace.

Well my house is smaller and not drafty at all. So maybe I might get away with only 5 or so cord. Just need some cold weather to test it out and see how the house heats.

Status
Not open for further replies.