Noticed how the stacks are drying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have 30 pallets full? Is that about 12-15 cords? I have over 30 pallets but only have 11 pallets filled, 5 feet high.
I don't think so. The measurements vary a bit.. but it's two rows of wood about 36 to 40" high. 50" long. 38 to 40 wide. There's a middle area that I pack with uglies and chunks. I had it figured at just about 3.06 pallets per cord. That's my guess anyway.

I'm getting a lot of flack about the stacks being too pretty. Drives my wife crazy too. It's just the way I do things. Really no need to be so anal about stacking wood. Guess it's just the engineer in this 66 year old geezer.

All that flack is just teasing. Several of us have got the same. So the 66 year old engineer likes things to look nice. Nothing wrong with that. On the n/s or e/w stacking, either will work but I tend to go more with the n/s but angled more for the sw winds although we keep the wood in stacks long enough that it really doesn't matter. Sometimes we do things out of habit too and that is not bad.

One thing you did not state is what type of wood you have there. 2 years is indeed long enough for most but if you have oak, I'd prefer 3 years for that.

All that flack is just teasing. Several of us have got the same. So the 66 year old engineer likes things to look nice. Nothing wrong with that. On the n/s or e/w stacking, either will work but I tend to go more with the n/s but angled more for the sw winds although we keep the wood in stacks long enough that it really doesn't matter. Sometimes we do things out of habit too and that is not bad.

One thing you did not state is what type of wood you have there. 2 years is indeed long enough for most but if you have oak, I'd prefer 3 years for that.

Dennis,
It is a mix of Ash, Walnut, Silver Maple, Elm, Oak, Mulberry and Black Locust. The Ash was standing dead (no bark). Everything else came from live trees. Don't have my own woodlot, so I have become the local scrounger have only invested my time and fuel getting it. I try to stay in touch with a couple of local tree services and It never fails to amaze me what they give away. By the way, if you remember an old thread of mine, I still don't have a woodstove, but I do have around 25 face cord now. It's all stacked off the ground just sitting there waiting for the day when the Fireview comes. Just not sure when that will happen.

Thanks to all of you out there for the nice thoughts. Guess I'm not too far gone afterall !!
Tim

Thanks to all of you out there for the nice thoughts. Guess I'm not too far gone afterall !!
Tim

Your not too far gone till you take out the hand planner to straighten up the stacks. Till that point - its just a job well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.