Now I Feel Really, Really Old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had an early one then you needed that tape drive. To load the keyboard debounce program before you used it. To keep keystrokes from duplicating. >>

Having done a lot of hardware benchmarking recently, I wonder what the number assigned really means, and assume it must be based on some historical standard. Can I assume an 8086 would benchmark at 1, and we're comparing everything to that?

My first computers were Commodore 64's in 1984. I got good at altering the drives and daisy chaining them and speeding them up. I and another geek ran a BBS with at first 300 baud modems and then eventually 2400 baud. It seemed so fast back then! lol. We paid a cool $1000 for a 1GB drive for the system towards the end of C=64 boards. It was a steal at the time! Shortly after then HDD's plummeted for IBM clones and capacity was increasing beyond imagination. 10GB HDD's were going for only $300 and we felt Sooo stupid! Those were the days! Now I usually have my iPad 4 in hand it still seems like a miracle for what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.