Nozzle protector opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vtwoodheater

Burning Hunk
Nov 1, 2015
central VT
Merry Christmas to you and your families.

So for the purpose of protecting the refractory and not allowing huge coals to drop through, I installed a firebrick overlay two weeks ago.

Now I get to thinking: The output of the boiler would be directly affected by the size of that opening, no?

I have been able to tune the most beautiful flame in the bottom chamber, but output has seemed to decrease.
Wood lasts forever, but the heat is not there. House is warm, but not so much extra going to storage now.

Thoughts?

I would believe your thinking, reducing the nozzle opening reduced mass airflow, and along with that reduced combustion output. Oh and merry Christmas!

Might be pulling that firebrick out this afternoon to confirm my theory!

Taking some windex and some elbow grease to that sight glass really lets you see the white and blue flames. I need a periscope and a stool, I could watch that flame for hours. LOL

No flames under the nozzle in my boiler. Just gaseous colorations, from orange to blue to no color at all, just a colorless roar.