OAK installed (Finally)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Well, after almost 2 seasons, I finally got around to installing the OAK on the Fahrenheit. I have had (most) parts since last year (but had to run and get a couple things today).

The install of a Fahrenheit by a certain (Unnamed Member ;)) person, finally got my butt in gear.

Took me all of 2 hrs and the Basement has NEVER hit 80° (on the far end/its about 95° near the wood eater).

My Quad has had an OAK and I have been a firm believer in them. But I have been a little lazy with the basement stoves. After the performance gains in just one evening. I will be doing my Wood eater next weekend.

(The silicone is Supposed to Dry Clear.... ?? I hope)

Anyways. For those that dont believe, my basement thermo never got above 78° in 2 yrs and tonight is colder than almost any night last season)

OAK's work :) And Thanks to the certain Unnamed Member!!! Your perfect looking install inspired me (hint : AMC, is in his User name) ;)

Last pic is the temp throughout the house :cool: Furnaces are the Chit.

2013-01-26_13-44-43_446.jpg 2013-01-26_15-18-59_166.jpg 2013-01-26_15-37-56_996.jpg 2013-01-26_15-38-51_979.jpg 2013-01-26_21-38-15_680.jpg 2013-01-26_16-11-14_164.jpg

Here is the thermo in the basement. The stove is coals now and I am about to reload. It dropped below 80° while I was posting (its 79.8°, its pretty darn close!)

2013-01-26_21-59-29_750.jpg

Reactions: smoke show
NIce dex, Where you get that inlet(cap) at? I would like to try something like that. High winds effect mine.

Its a 4" B vent/Gas cap (4") I then used a 4" to 3" reducer and used 3" all the way to the furnace.

Looking at it, I am going to use some flashing and cover the top, to prevent rain and snow from being drawn in.

Won't take but a minute.... Love it

Looks good. The clear silicone I used went on white also. Took a couple days to dry clear on mine. I blamed it on the cold.

Reactions: DexterDay
Nice washer and dryer Mad Dog...I will be looking for some help when I install my OAK!! Hope you will be available, I will have beer (not that fancy stuff in your picture, but it will be beer);) !! Lovin' your basement my friend!

Go OAK! :cool:

I gooped up some outside fittings I worked on a few weeks ago here with clear and the silicon took about a week to cure and turn clear. I would not worry about it.

As for OAKs, I have yet to read any argument that holds water against them being used myself. However, there are so may devout anti-outside air supply people out there on the web, and some here on this forum. I suppose they will point out that your air changes will be too low, there will be a reverse pressure potential under certain wind conditions that cause the stove to vent backwards, that you must have been hypnotized to believe that OAKs actually work, and you adjusted the thermometer in a staged photo for this post (to support the pro-OAK conspiracy). ;)

Good use of foil tape. I see duct tape used too often around here in that kind of vent ducting.

Installing an oak this spring for my Harman, hope it cuts down on the draft in the house.

My first stove was a quad. Is run My house up to 85* but would still be freezing. I put the oak on a few seasons later and what a difference. To all new burners, do yourself a favor and just put the oak on straight away without question. You won't regret it. This begs the question "how many people get rid of their stove out of frustration that it doesn't heat their house, when actually its because they didn't hook up the oak?"

Nice install, Dex. And your basement is so clean.

I like the raised basement wall off the ground floor. It protects the siding from rain splash, snow accumulation and insects. But I am sure those exposed blocks bleed a lot of heat from your basement.

Still worth it. At my place the siding goes to 6 inches from the ground and gives me all sorts of issues.

But you sure have a lot of heating capacity in that clean basement.

The basement isn't as clean as it looks... (Pics are definitely staged).

Like this one ;) (this pic is pre OAK) Now I gotta fill the wood racks and take another pic :)

Thanks for all the comments everyone. They work. I was a believer when I did the Quad yrs ago. Just been slackin.. Thanks to the certain Unnamed Member, who installed a Fahrenheit, that looks better than mine :cool: LOL

2012-12-10_20-00-47_521.jpg

Do the oak old mv. I Did mine out of rigid aluminum dryer vent I found at menards. It's hardpiped and only cost me $15.

That looks great. Now it is my turn. Im like you just been too busy (or lazy) will probably take me less than 2 hours.

NIce dex, Where you get that inlet(cap) at? I would like to try something like that. High winds effect mine.

Dexterday Is that cap removable? Its hard to see in the picture but it looks like the screws wont remove the cap

Dexterday Is that cap removable? Its hard to see in the picture but it looks like the screws wont remove the cap

Nope. Cap is not removable. But will be easy to clean. The screws hold the makeshift screen I put in it.

Nope. Cap is not removable. But will be easy to clean. The screws hold the makeshift screen I put in it.

Nice job on the install Looks good. Thanks for the reply I was wondering about cleaning

Dexter that is a nice set up. What will you use to seal the vent in the off season? How do you seal your exhaust vent? My stove is in my basement too and I am getting way too much condensation in my big e in the off season, i need to try something different, any ideas would help. Thanks

Dexter that is a nice set up. What will you use to seal the vent in the off season? How do you seal your exhaust vent? My stove is in my basement too and I am getting way too much condensation in my big e in the off season, i need to try something different, any ideas would help. Thanks

The Exhaust, I remove the termination cap and plug with a old rag, followed by a Bunch of plastic grocery bags, balled up tight. Put cap back on and wait till fall :)

The OAKs, I will try and cover externally, but I will remove the end from the stove and plug it there.

Just remember to always leave yourself a note and put it in the Hopper, to remind you in the Fall, of all the things to do before firing up (Plug stove back in, remove Damp Rid, unplug exhaust and OAK, add pellets, put new batteries in t-stat, etc).

The Exhaust, I remove the termination cap and plug with a old rag, followed by a Bunch of plastic grocery bags, balled up tight. Put cap back on and wait till fall :)

The OAKs, I will try and cover externally, but I will remove the end from the stove and plug it there.

Just remember to always leave yourself a note and put it in the Hopper, to remind you in the Fall, of all the things to do before firing up (Plug stove back in, remove Damp Rid, unplug exhaust and OAK, add pellets, put new batteries in t-stat, etc).

Another option is a pipe cap.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/plugging-up-selkirk-dt-during-off-season.72769/#post-918809

Status
Not open for further replies.