Oak is a joke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take oak any day of the week... those that don't like it are just jealous because they don't have access to any. :cheese:

quads said:
I love oak too. It's almost exclusively what I have burned my whole life. Cherry is my favorite wood, but I don't have a lot of big stuff to choose from. I've never burned pine, even though we have a lot of it, but Dad used jackpine for kindling. I don't even use that for kindling, I use oak for that too.

We go through a lot of pine in our Crawford Century cookstove. Plus a lot on the margins of heating season when a hot and fast quickie is in order.

Owing to the fact white pine and red oak often times comprise mature stands, there's a saying I've heard in relation to heating with them. "Burn it as it grows," with the fast fire pine igniting the heat holding oak.

We have 2 types of cherry in cantral NH. Pin cherry is very light and goes to punk about as quick as white birch. They even look a little similar, excepting the bark color. Then there's black cherry. Like oak, it rots from the outside in and has a longer shelflife if you're hunting dead and down stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.