Oak, I've been listening but I did not hear.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CTYank said:
jatoxico said:
CTYank said:
You can seriously dry out splits by stacking them near the stove, butts facing stove.
Side benefit in winter is that the moisture driven out of the splits keeps the house from becoming dessicating.
Stacked a foot away, I've never seen them top 180 deg F. in 2-3 weeks. Drier = better.
Skids and a cheapie circ. saw can help a lot, too. (Having a saber-saw, that's preferable here, with demo blade.)

Hmm, being from dead standing they are a dirty mess but maybe I can contain the mess and get some drying action.

If your splits have fuzzy outer layer (like sapwood digested by fungi) I'd suggest keeping them a bit further from the stove. That fuzzy stuff can light off pretty quickly. (No, it's not happened to me outside the stove. Yet.) Being extra-careful about that, I'd keep fuzzy faces of splits facing away from the stove, move them farther away, or burn them first.

Lot of pc's like that. Stuff is like built in kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.