Oak? Need Help Identifying Wood Type

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

prm510

Jun 14, 2018
Eastern MA, USA
Hi all! New to the forum but I’ve been burning wood, bucking and splitting for about a year since I moved into my grandmother’s home to caretake it for her. Many gorgeous trees on the property: Maples (different varieties), glorious Oaks, Dogwood, Mulberry...on 2 acres of property- needless to say I love it.

This past winter in MA was windy blizzards with tons of snow. Knocked a ton of trees down- so I bucked them split them and stacked them to season so I can burn them in the fireplace. This one tree I can’t figure out- can you possibly help? I put some pictures up for you all- I’m thinking it’s oak but- it’s wicked heavy, a bear to split, knotty and stringy. What the heck is it?

Attachments

• 89FA46C8-B83D-4241-B1A9-FF62763A1AAE.jpeg
    89FA46C8-B83D-4241-B1A9-FF62763A1AAE.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 502
  • 4CF100E9-E790-4FF0-8AB3-0EC4F4755DF2.jpeg
    4CF100E9-E790-4FF0-8AB3-0EC4F4755DF2.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 488

Tad, you and PA hit the nail on the head! I called my buddy and sent him the photos- he’s been felling trees at an apple orchard recently. He confirmed it was Apple, as did my father who was sad to hear his apple tree planted by my grandfather for him on his 7th birthday had fallen. I am so psyched to season this and use it in a smoker or my fireplace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a kid we had a fire going in the fireplace a lot. Today I hate to hear a fireplace being used and not a stove.

Reactions: prm510
As a kid we had a fire going in the fireplace a lot. Today I hate to hear a fireplace being used and not a stove.

That’s the next step is to save up to convert the fireplace to a stove with an insert and system. I love wood stoves! Fireplaces sure are messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk