OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjstarbuckle

Sep 21, 2014
West virgina
I have an oak on my stove it is 3" opening with 3 inch pipe going about 16inches out the wall. Would it be better to up the pipe size to say 5-6 inch would it help get more air with the bigger pipe diameter?

If the hole for the OAK is only 3" there is no need to go any larger with the pipe. I am sure the manufacturer designed it that way for a reason. Are you having draft problems or why are you asking?

I (think) I may have a draft problem but it's not got cold enough here yet to really tell if I'm going to or not. My wood I know is good from stacked 2years and freshly tested at 17%. Just thought maybe that would help out some getting more combust able air that's the only place I get air from

Remove the OAK and see if there is any difference in draft. If you were longer than 16", I would increase the size to 4" but there's no sense changing anything until you are sure it is needed.

I (think) I may have a draft problem but it's not got cold enough here yet to really tell if I'm going to or not. My wood I know is good from stacked 2years and freshly tested at 17%. Just thought maybe that would help out some getting more combust able air that's the only place I get air from

What's your chimney height? Any bends? And what's your outside temp? Draft may be sluggish because it is not that cold outside yet.

My stove is englander 13 my manual says it needs to be 15ft from the floor to top of chimney I'm right at 14 and it's straight out the top all the way no bends. It was 55 today I'm trying one tonight it's going to get in lower 40

Stack a bit short and outside not that cold; that will contribute both to marginal draft. If it does not improve with colder temps I would recommend adding some pipe to the flu instead of sizing up the OAK.

Would a foot make a good bit of difference? Or 18invhes I can't add 3ft to it or I would but I'm already way above the roof with a brace kit. But if it will I'll go ahead an add it it can't hurt any huh.

I learned a long time ago to just do what is spec'd out... it will probably make a difference if you expect it to perform as the mfg tested it. Just my 2 cents... I'd add the foot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.