Oak split and stacked since December will it be ok

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
So I posted by in December my free load. And I felt good then. Now I’m wondering will it be burnable for November. It’s basically oak and some ash and cherry. It’s all mixed together stacked on pallets 3 deep and 5’ high. I have about 13 cords. Been hot as hell past couple months. What are your thoughts guys. Been researching solar kilns as a back up.

The ash likely will be. The cherry maybe, the oak maybe not. It will depend on the thickness of the splits, how much air and sun get through the stacks and how humid it is outside.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Get a moisture meter and see, it only way to tell
for sure. If you are below 20% you are good to go

The ash likely will be. The cherry maybe, the oak maybe not. It will depend on the thickness of the splits, how much air and sun get through the stacks and how humid it is outside.
When you say how humid--you mean it will dry more slowly if it is humid?

Yes, wood will dry more slowly at 75-80% humidity than at 45% humidity.

Reactions: Dix
That’s really a bummer. I have been burning since 08. This will be the first year not burning. I guess I will try out the solar kiln. Hopefully I don’t ruin the wood I have with mold

It will burn and produce heat, just less efficiently. Some stoves burn wet wood better than others too, get some pallets or other dry wood to help get it going and keep an eye on your chimney for creosote build up.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
there always the compressed wood blocks you can mix them with splits

When you say how humid--you mean it will dry more slowly if it is humid?
Drying wood is strikingly similar to drying clothes on a clothesline. Think of it that way.

• Love
Reactions: Dix
It is dependent on conditions. In my conditions the cherry would be ready. The ash would be ready enough, though not great. The oak -- if you need it look for pieces that have fissures on the ends and feel lighter as you pick them up. A whole rick of oak takes 24-36 months, though individual pieces can be ready in 12-18.

If it's all you got, my hunch is the oak will work, kind of. But won't be real desirable.

Always separate the oak. It needs the longest seasoning time for avg size splits. I split the small, stack in single rows give it two full summers in the sun at least.

Reactions: TreePointer
Do the kiln or mix in some dry pieces. I burned some wet oak my first year burning. Thought I was doing ok but when I burned dry maple, cherry, and ash I realized it wasn't that great. I left the air open much more that first year. It burned and heated ok but didn't burn as long. I also cleaned every 6 weeks or so to be sure. Hardly had any build up.

Everyone keeps saying that Oak takes 2 to 3 years to dry.
In my experience where I live (Eastern Ontario ) my Red
Oak will dry in less than a year. c/s/s in December through
February. When I put my firewood in the basement it
September the Oak will be at 20% . By the time I start
burning it will be 15 to 18 %. This has been consistent
for the last 42 years. So as I see it get a moisture meter
and see where you are. It may or may not be ready this fall
There is no fixed rule only guidelines.

You are getting fresh cut red oak, in your basement, to 15 percent in a year?
You have one helluva dry basement.

Reactions: TreePointer
You are getting fresh cut red oak, in your basement, to 15 percent in a year?
You have one helluva dry basement.
Yeah I have a dry basement meaning it isn’t wet after a good storm and I run a dehumidifier too but i still have 55-58% humidity down there.

You can burn wood that has more than 20% moisture by mixing in compressed wood blocks or just putting the somewhat wet wood onto a good bed of coals but it will take more wood to just dry out your moist wood. Here’s a graphic to illustrate this. I try to keep 4-5 years ahead with my wood stacks to be sure that I will have good dry wood every winter but I realize not everyone has the room to do so.

C231967F-50D3-4884-9D60-882059EE9523.jpeg

Reactions: moresnow
I can usually burn oak after 4-6 months. We live on gravel and get good sun and wind. Some years it doesnt dey well, but it will most of the time. It burns a bit better if it lasts till the next year, but it burns pretty dang good the first year too. People call me crazy every year. I'm trying to get far enough ahead that it doesnt matter any more.