Oak that has red in the middle???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormyone

Dec 30, 2013
North Carolina
So I got a load of oak and I noticed that the wood has a big red streak on it running from end to end...Anyone have any Idea what typer of oak this is?????

Most of the oak is red oak. Without a picture its very hard to tell.

Does it look like this?

box-elder-200x200.jpg

Reactions: Applesister
Red oak does have red heartwood - but in the red oak I've dealt with I'd never think of it as a "streak" because at least half of the wood is that color. Just like in the picture you posted. The lighter color is sap wood - and quite often it's the lighter colored wood that is a streak - just like in that split about halfway up the left side of that picture.

If the red part in your wood is really just a thin streak, you might be dealing with some other kind of wood. Hickory, for example, has a dark red heartwood that often takes up quite a bit less than half of total piece of wood. I'd think of hickory as having a red "streak" But then split hickory doesn't look like oak otherwise.

Ya, me too when I read the OP it sounded like box elder.

If the bulk of the split is very light colored and no darker heartwood with red/pink steaks it ain't Oak it's Box Elder when fresh split. There is #%$#@$%$# seller in the area here that advertises all Oak, when in reality 1/2 or more is Box Elder. I can only imagine what his all hardwood consists of as technically Willow and Cotton wood are hard wood as compared to conifers.

Hope its not that elusive Box Elder oak:(

probably red. i was able to tell by the leaves (point if red oad, rounded if white) but i just cut some red as well and it has the red streaks also. i love the smell of that wood. i just split it so i'll wait until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.