Oak wood burners, post your opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How long do you wait to burn Oak species firewood for optimal burn & heat?

• 6 Months

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • over 3 years+

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Taking a poll.
For those of you who burn Oak wood species, and have at least a few years experience burning Oak in an EPA era wood stove, insert etc.
Feel free to add your view on how long Oak should be split & stacked prior to burning it, for optimum performance in your stove.
Also, for those that don't have access to Oak, post how long whatever wood species you may primarily burn, sits split & stacked for optimal burn in your set up.

Taking a poll.
For those of you who burn Oak wood species, and have at least a few years experience burning Oak in an EPA era wood stove, insert etc.
Feel free to add your view on how long Oak should be split & stacked prior to burning it, for optimum performance in your stove.
Also, for those that don't have access to Oak, post how long whatever wood species you may primarily burn, sits split & stacked for optimal burn in your set up.
I burn Oak most of the time. In your poll, there is no option for wind/sun dry or kiln dry. I use a kiln.

I burn Oak most of the time. In your poll, there is no option for wind/sun dry or kiln dry. I use a kiln.
Simply use what length of time it takes whilst kiln dried if that is how you dry it. Wind & sun dry would be fairly norm for most.

As long as it takes to get dry.
Yeah, yeah, we already know it taked your tiny splits a year to dry. You're a legend in your own mind.

Yeah, yeah, we already know it taked your tiny splits a year to dry. You're a legend in your own mind.

Really that coming from you?

I split fairly small for my stove, 3-6” splits, 16” long. Also have an OWB for primary heat.

1 year and my oak burns, with sizzlers here and there. Takes more babysitting.
2 years and it lights and burns much better. I can set my stove and walk away for the most part. Better heat too.
For the first time this year I'm burning some 3 year oak and I can definitely notice a difference. Lights right off and gets to burning much faster. Coals up more evenly and reduces to a finer, fluffier ash. Great heat output and just overall better and more predictable stove performance. Feels like how the stove was designed to run.

I’m actually moving away from oak for this reason and trying to get more ash/maple mix when I buy loads of logs. I’ve always bought oak but this season I’m burning ash and maple in our OWB that I cut over the summer and I’ve been happy with the change. The rounds started out lighter and split faster/easier than oak and it all dried to about 25-28% in 6 months. I cut to 24” long and split it big for the OWB so that was a welcome change when processing 12 cords a season.

Target range is three for me. Burning some 4-5 year old this year

I can get my oak seasoned to 20% or less in two summers. Im burning some 4 year oak/hickory and yea their is a considerable difference but if i didnt have space for storage....i would say two years would be my target range.
Edit: thats a average of 5-6 inch splits.

Last edited:
It varies between one and three years for me, depending on weather conditions. Never longer than three though so I chose three years.

I voted two years as that's how long it takes me to get below 20%, this year I'm trying the kiln method to see if I can do it in one year.

Reactions: bholler
I voted two years as that's how long it takes me to get below 20%, this year I'm trying the kiln method to see if I can do it in one year.
If you can get it below 20 in two years in your location I am sure with a kiln you can do it in a year. Possibly less.

In all honesty long as it is dry I'll burn it. I have had some at 1.5 years, 2 years, and 3 years. The 1.5 years is a tree that snapped off just about the based from rot and laid against other trees for 2 years before I cut it up. 2 and 3 years were cut down green. All very dependent on the variables.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Thanks for your input gentlemen. Much appreciated. I assume the 6 months for Oak is in jest, but if not, good luck with that & hope you're sweeping often, or at the minimal inspecting monthly, unless you're the gentleman burning ash in the OWB, then I can understand the 6 months. Enjoy the heat.

Thanks for your input gentlemen. Much appreciated. I assume the 6 months for Oak is in jest, but if not, good luck with that & hope you're sweeping often, or at the minimal inspecting monthly, unless you're the gentleman burning ash in the OWB, then I can understand the 6 months. Enjoy the heat.
The 6 months is in a kiln. MC is 15% max.

I sweep both chimneys twice a year. Mid season and after the season. With my kiln dried oak, the 22 ft liner has no more than 1/2 cup of soot.

There's no set length, but make sure it's properly seasoned. Even without a meter, your eyes and the water weight loss will tell you.

Three years is my goal. It is not unusual for me to stack split oak in a sunny/windy area and have some of those splits ready in 20 months. This year I'm using some oak that was cut 13 months ago. That's early, but the pieces looked ready. No smoke in the stove; no smoke or smell outside; no steam or water coming out of the ends of the logs when they burn. But they are going on a hot fire.

I split fresh red oak for kindling. Twelve months is usually enough. I have a top on it, but lots of wind and sun hitting it.

2.5-3 years here...pretty much all I burn is oak ...white,red,black,and pin oak...I have 5 cord of pin oak that has been CSS for 3 years...1 cord I split rather large....like in the 10 inch range...not ready...still in the low to mid 20s...I like the bigger stuff for brutal cold nights...the other 4 cord the splits are in the 6-8 inch range and tested from 16-19%...I have a load of that in the stove now...the Cat is pegged and its 78 in the stove room and 11 degrees outside...

Reactions: Woody Stover
I'm into mostly all Ash now. That was dried by the sun and by air for a year with also a top cover (slot sided shed with metal roof). Side facing sun is open. With that said one full year is enough for the Ash.

I have a friend with a Saw Mill who runs his wood through his kiln for drying lumber. His is dry in a week.

Now that I can see, and would be sweet to have one of those.

Reactions: bholler