Occasional burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Only if you never have used a soapstone stove! Spend some time around one, you will like it!
I have always had a stove since I was in my early 20's, steel, cast, Jotuls, Vermont Castings, other off brands. One day a friend of mine said he has a friend who just got a job at Hearthstone and had factory seconds (chipped enamel). So I bought a Phoenix soapstone. I would never go back to cast or steel. What's interesting is Woodstock Steel stoves have internal soapstone. I'm curious about that.

Congrats! You made a great choice and that corner looks fantastic
Congrats, indeed...good work, @Chris2775! :cool:
If you feel like your getting cooked out don't be afraid to crack open one of those windows.
Yeah, hopefully the stonework will absorb some of the excess heat and transmit it outside. ;) Don't be surprise if you go out in cold weather and see a number of small, furry animals clinging to the side of your house in that area. ;lol Seriously, I don't think you'll have much trouble regulating the heat, and as others have said, you may end up running the stove a lot more than you now think you might. If the PH anything like my little Keystone, if I don't open up the air a bit at the end of the burn, it will run for hours and hours on those coals holding a STT of about 250, which will maintain a level room temp in average conditions here.

Last edited:
I've learned on this forum not to dis my non favorite stove manufacturer but here is one more example where I have to publicly come out of the closet and speak up. It relates to soapstone vs cast iron. I was at my neighbors house a few days ago. She has a new F600 Jotul installed professionally. Large pot on top steaming away (stove up to temperature and flames.) I stood 2 feet away and felt very little radiant heat. If I do that with my PH, forget about it. My thighs are a-burnin. But what do I know, I'm no scientist.

Chris... nice looking setup.. as for the occasional user. I thought the same thing, I thought I'm going to burn on the weekend here and there. I was way off. My stove heats my home so well. My home has never been so warm and comfortable. Heated so evenly. I have spent 75 dollers on heating oil which most was consumed prior to the stove being installed. Run it for a while. It becomes addicting.. Good luck to you

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
I've learned on this forum not to dis my non favorite stove manufacturer but here is one more example where I have to publicly come out of the closet and speak up. It relates to soapstone vs cast iron. I was at my neighbors house a few days ago. She has a new F600 Jotul installed professionally. Large pot on top steaming away (stove up to temperature and flames.) I stood 2 feet away and felt very little radiant heat. If I do that with my PH, forget about it. My thighs are a-burnin. But what do I know, I'm no scientist.

I suspect she had not had a fire for very long ...,these cast iron Jotuls are like locomotives ... they take a bit to really get cranking but once they're up to speed they put out a lot of heat. At my house you would feel the burn.

I have always had a stove since I was in my early 20's, steel, cast, Jotuls, Vermont Castings, other off brands. One day a friend of mine said he has a friend who just got a job at Hearthstone and had factory seconds (chipped enamel). So I bought a Phoenix soapstone. I would never go back to cast or steel. What's interesting is Woodstock Steel stoves have internal soapstone. I'm curious about that.

The hearthstone inserts are Cast Iron firebox lined with soapstone. The soapstone liner holds the heat really well and slowly radiates it so that the heating cyle is leveled and extended.