Odd Situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sstterry

Nov 14, 2022
East TN
I have a bit of an odd situation. When I had my home built 28 years ago, we had a large Derco Grizzly that had been gifted to us. We had the stove placed in the basement of a pretty large 2 story home. The chimney run is probably 50' or more straight up. When the stove was installed, the builder just ran Class A Chimney pipe all the way from the stove to the top. No adapter or another adjustable component attached to the stove. It looks like they just started the pipe at the stove and went up with sections. The Chimney pipe is "Hart and Cooley".

My question is, what is the best way to move out my old stove and slide in the new one so as to connect it properly to the chimney? A builder friend off-handedly said that we could Sawzall the existing pipe and use regular stove pipe to attach them together. But I am curious if there is a Hart and Cooley telescoping adapter that I could use? Or if I should do something else?

I have a bit of an odd situation. When I had my home built 28 years ago, we had a large Derco Grizzly that had been gifted to us. We had the stove placed in the basement of a pretty large 2 story home. The chimney run is probably 50' or more straight up. When the stove was installed, the builder just ran Class A Chimney pipe all the way from the stove to the top. No adapter or another adjustable component attached to the stove. It looks like they just started the pipe at the stove and went up with sections. The Chimney pipe is "Hart and Cooley".

My question is, what is the best way to move out my old stove and slide in the new one so as to connect it properly to the chimney? A builder friend off-handedly said that we could Sawzall the existing pipe and use regular stove pipe to attach them together. But I am curious if there is a Hart and Cooley telescoping adapter that I could use? Or if I should do something else?
Some pics would help. But yes you may need to destroy the bottom section of chimney

Here is a picture.

0115231041_HDR (1).jpg

How is the rest of the chimney supported?
That is a very good question and one I have to go into the attic to see if I can find out. That is one of my main concerns too! The pipe goes up through a sheet metal cover in the basement and runs up a boxed chase along with a gas fireplace on the first floor through a two-story room so I may need to remove the metal cover in the basement and see if I can see up the chase.

If it is not supported well, is there a way to brace it at the bottom? I really don't care what it looks like because the stove's only purpose is functional, not decorative.

Last edited: