Odds On This Being A Masonary FP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
My daughter is considering this house. Looked at it this afternoon.

It's in CT, USA.

Built in 1977. Current heat set up is electric. Very open floor plan on 1st floor, nice stairway leading up to second floor. Note the carport outside the exterior FP brick.

Thoughts?

1593805435178.png

1593805448990.png

1593805467305.png

1593805494486.png

1593805512497.png

Last edited:
The odds look fairly good to me but for some reason I couldn't zoom in on those pics

Reactions: Dix
Looks like a masonry FP from the pics.

I can't zoom in either, lifted them from Zillow ;)

I'm going to ask her to take a pic of the interior of the FP, and the flue / chimney. And get dimensions.

Thank you both for confirming my initial thoughts.

Looks nice. What town?

Burlington.

Is she thinking insert?

I'm the master on this one.

Maybe a free standing?

Need measurements.

She's scouting firewood guys as I type :)

I see a Summit in there.

Her offer was accepted.

Let the games begin ;)

597ddc7f2b6dc43b098efa90f92ca744l-b1984262344xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
Here is a FP pic that one can zoom in on. I estimate its height at 27-30".

She just might make it with a free standing.

She's experienced in the PE & Englander lines :)

She just might make it with a free standing.
Is the intent to heat primarily with wood or more for evenings and weekends? For full time she will want a 3 cu ft stove. Measure twice and get that wood asap.

Maybe here?
or

Last edited:
She's scouting firewood guys as I type :)

Now!! Tell her don't worry so much about the guy, but focus on the quality of the wood. Well, OK - that doesn't seem to make things much better! :)

Anyway, sure looks like that would be a masonry fireplace. If not, they went to a lot of expense...masonry inside and out... to hide a prefab box.

Around here, they were still building masonry into the late 70's, but then the pre-fab fireplaces really took off in the mid 80's. Possibly similar in your area, too.

The only thing I would caution... 1970's "original equipment" is going on 40+ years old, so might be coming up for re-pointing / re-capping time. (Don't ask me how I know this... said the owner of a 1973 ranch house with full masonry chimney)

I would estimate the length of liner needed at right around 20'. But it looks like there is efflorescence on the straight side of the chimney which I assume is where the liner for the furnace is. That tells me she will most likely need a furnace liner as well. Or if Nat gas is available switching to a condensing furnace that can be vented with plastic may be a better option.

I would estimate the length of liner needed at right around 20'. But it looks like there is efflorescence on the straight side of the chimney which I assume is where the liner for the furnace is. That tells me she will most likely need a furnace liner as well. Or if Nat gas is available switching to a condensing furnace that can be vented with plastic may be a better option.

House has electric heat as main source, currently *giggles* ;)

Reactions: bholler
Is the intent to heat primarily with wood or more for evenings and weekends? For full time she will want a 3 cu ft stove. Measure twice and get that wood asap.

Maybe here?
or

Primary wood heat source.

She can't possibly be in until October / November? This is gonna get dicey.

1977? Almost certainly masonry. Wood should be easy to buy in CT. Just make sure it's dry and it's hardwood.
Almost anything you buy (stove or insert), they'll tell you to put a new liner in. Better make sure she's got some money handy. Stoves/inserts and liners aren't cheap.

Her offer was accepted.

Let the games begin ;)

Great! I grew up in Huntington. It's part of Shelton, just down Route 8. I had to look up where Burlington is.

You'll pass through Naugatuck, if you drive up Route 8 to get there. That's where the name Naugahyde for vinyl synthetic leather comes from.

Great! I grew up in Huntington. It's part of Shelton, just down Route 8. I had to look up where Burlington is.

You'll pass through Naugatuck, if you drive up Route 8 to get there. That's where the name Naugahyde for vinyl synthetic leather comes from.

Keep going west past Torrington to Cornwall and you hit my old stomping grounds.

1977? Almost certainly masonry. Wood should be easy to buy in CT. Just make sure it's dry and it's hardwood.
Almost anything you buy (stove or insert), they'll tell you to put a new liner in. Better make sure she's got some money handy. Stoves/inserts and liners aren't cheap.

Thank you.

The Dixette cut her teeth on the PE & the Timber Ridge, with seasoned wood. And me, I know a thing or two at this stage of the game ;)

Just an update for youse guys.

This is going in 10/29.

1601833750158.png

She found 2 reliable firewood guys, and has 3- 4 cord already to go. And more coming in. I set her up with a 4' round rack, ash bucket & shovel, stove tools, and just sent her a 36 count of Super Cedars ;) :cool:

What a great dad! Do you need another daughter? I could use about 3 cords too...haha :)

What a great dad! Do you need another daughter? I could use about 3 cords too...haha :)

I'm the Mom, and no thank you, this one is enough ;lol :cool:;)

• Haha
Reactions: MagdalenaP
It has arrived !!! Just in time, too !!!. She's already done 2 break in fires ;) :cool:

123091379_653209215558128_7968424993441688994_n.jpg123006378_353334535900567_8077671275775413603_n.jpg123113280_1106562613092340_1561100156827071206_n.jpg122752019_2413389438956994_7446670032645123712_n.jpg