Official Old Fart Thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has a old Rhino. We had awful rain and it slide down the hillside, well became a mudslide, landing up against their shed blocking the door. He is a pilot and was away on a business trip. His wife called me in a panic and asked me to send my hubby down to move it for her. She laughed when I showed up :)

When I met the little brown haired girl she was flogging a MGB. Bought her new car in 1973 and it had to be a four speed. Same with the next one. She finally acquiesced along about 1988 and let me get an automatic in her new car.

And totaled it. <>

I have a rotary dial wall phone in my kitchen.
I have a mangle in the basement.
I have a treadle sewing machine.
I have a spinning wheel.
I have wooden planers, a hammered iron hammer, wooden furniture clamps.
I have a clothes line.
I have a log lifter with cast iron head that weighs a ton.
I have a wheel barrow with a iron wheel and wooden sides.
I have soapstone bed warmers and linen linens and silver silverware.
My son swears the family tractor is from the 30s. I wouldn't know. It's been there my entire life.
Sherwood road is still gravel.
Huge converted coal to oil burnham furnace from 1894.

The ice house is gone (four years ago).
The Findley Cookstove is gone.
The refrigerators that held iceblocks are gone.
The henhouse is gone.
The cows are gone.
The old 8 -0- ring 2 phone is gone, as is the much more recent party line I shared with my nearest neighbor - my aunt who happened to have the same last name,. We had an interesting 6 months when Bell misconnected a feed out at the road.
The lake is no longer the easiest car route in the winter.
The TV no longer sits with its front in the LR and open back in the closet (where we kids took out all the tubes).
The radio is no longer a 3 x 5 foot piece of furniture.
The dishwasher doesn't connect to the kitchen sink.
We no longer have a separate tap for drinking water.
The lake is no longer our summer bathtub.
No more milk delivery in glass jars;, before that milk separated in the basement after carried from the barn.
No more churning butter and ice cream.
No more Krug's bakery delivery (and there was another company before them...began with a D, I think).
No more wax on the jelly jars.
No more penny candy counter at the general store.
No more general store.
No more rowing to town to buy the Sunday ice cream, which was wrapped in newspaper (8 pints! for the thirteen children and all the adults), tied with string and put under the seat while we rowed in the hot sun the two miles from town.
No more walking three miles to town for a 5 cent ice cream cone.
No more 10 cent subway ride to Yankee Stadium (I remember when it went from 5 cents).
No more air raid drills with us crouched under our desks.
No more school desks with attached chair that one had to slide into.
The 10 cent movie price isn't missed, since we never were given money to go to the movies.
Though my sister and I went to Psycho, without permission, at a very young age, as our first movie. My older sister held my head down half way though the scariest scene.
No more Jan's Ice Cream parlour with its Kitchen Sink, no more Dipper Dan's. No more Lady's store with it's great sundaes.
Fishing trips in the bully-bull frog, a heavy wooden four seat rowboat with inboard motor and tin lined under seat fish storage bin.
We had some cool things: 1957 DeSoto station wagon, red and black, huge wings, beautiful car - semi-hemi head engine, push button transmission, custom airline seatbelts. My Dad drove that over the top of the speedometer (over 125 mph) on the newly opened Taconic Parkway when we drove to Cornwall to see Ike and Queen Elizabeth open the ST Lawrence
Seaway. Commercial GlenCo refrigerator and freezer installed around 1960. Built in Kitchenaid dishwasher of the same vintage. Great sound system built into the BigRoom in 1962 - along with our first TV since our move from Levittown in 1954.
Rooms full of books, from the 1890's on...Many, many original children's books: Just So Stories, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Uncle Remus, Beatrix Potter. We've always had hundreds and hundreds of books. Microscope and telescope. Sailboats, including to Herreschoff's. Boston Whalers. Old Town Rowboats and canoes, kayaks.
Fabulous home baked cakes and cookies and pies all the time, homemade bread. Set to rise on the Burnham furnace. (Bread machine bread just isn't the same).

FREEDOM. To live and learn and make mistakes and grow.

The Burma Shaves I remember were not stacked like those posted...one line every hundred feet or so in upper NYS...were still there fairly recently....This is something that will never come to pass, a backseat driver out of gas.
Thirty days hath September, April, June and the speed offender.

When you made homemade preserves you covered the top of the preserves with melted paraffin that congealed and sealed the jar.

Two thin layers. First one, which cooled, then another thin layer on top. Then covered with a lightweight metal cap that just slid on, once the wax was cool. Worked fine. We never had any problem with the preserves.

Ah... you learn things here.

One of the good pursuits from my youth is still around in it's original form.....highly recommended for semi-technical kids if you have any around...yes, Estes Rockets!

View attachment 105824
Did some body say rockets, love building rockets, not quite like the ones in the picture but rockets still the same.

newly opened Taconic Parkway

Wow, that is a little bit of history there. I grew up near that road and still use it frequently. Maybe not so much anymore as my parents have since moved from the area.

It and the Northway were amazing roads for their time.

I still love driving the Taconic. I can and often do drive 60 miles on is upper reaches without seeing a car. Love that it is there as an alternative to the Thruway. Or 22.

It and the Northway were amazing roads for their time.

I still love driving the Taconic. I can and often do drive 60 miles on is upper reaches without seeing a car. Love that it is there as an alternative to the Thruway. Or 22.

The fun is really overrated once you get south of Dutchess County. I grew up (in northern DC) in the era just before the at-grade crossings were closed. Many, many, accidents on those intersections. But now I get all pissed off when I try to navigate the area and the median is closed or my GPS stupidly attempts to navigate me, the truck, and the trailer back to the Taconic. ;lol (No commercial traffic allowed!)

Yes, unless it is really late at night, I switch over to 84 at the intersection, take 84 to 684, and 684 to the Hutch. Can still get stuck on the Hutch at certain hours, but one can switch over to the New England in White Plains.....and I know Westchester really well. But it is seldom worth getting off the Hutch.....

The drive from Ontario to Westchester seems to go much more quickly when I get off the thruway in Hudson, take the Rip Van Winkle Bridge, then keep switching roads as I go south...never too long on any one road, which keeps things from getting too boring and sleepy making. Going the other way, fueling in Watertown, then customs, then 401, then 32, then 15 keeps one alert...enough changing there.

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.