I was going through my normal routine last night of moving around the coals before loading up the stove for the night. For some reason I grabbed the shovel from my fireplace tool set instead of the poker. Started moving the coals around and suddenly the shovel was on fire and letting of nasty, nauseating fumes. "Oh, bleep!!" There was a moment of decision making and I almost (I said almost) ran through my house with a flaming shovel to throw it outside (probably would have ended badly). Instead I quickly unscrewed the handle which gave me just enough room to put the shovel entirely in my stove and close the door. Ran outside and grabbed the bucket of water I keep next to my outdoor fireplace, brought it inside, pulled the shovel out with my welders gloves and dumped it in the water. No major crisis but hair raising none the less.