Oh boy-how do I attach chimney damper now????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time no see/ask questions! I am now in different part of the country. I now have a 'regular' fireplace with a clay liner. The former owner put 'ashphault' type material around the top of the flue. I had it 'cleaned up' so a damper could be clamped around the outside of the flue... but there is no protruding piece of flue- it is even with the cement portion of the chimney. I see some chimney dampers attach with silicone to the top edges of the flu. I am looking at the 'Premier'damper, which has critter screening/insulated top that clamps down tight to help stop losing cool airconditioned air in summer. There is no flue left above the roof to attach/clamp to. I will include a pic if I can of the BEFORE cleaning off the 'ashphault mountain'. I h

you can mortar on a short piece of flue tile then install a new 2 or 3 inch thick concrete crown around it making it higher around the flue to run off water. sounds like you will need to do the crown anyway once you get that asphalt (tar?) mess under control

Do you mean a chimney cap? In my area, a damper is something that the operator uses next to the fire to block the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.