Oh boy! I've got a hookup for scrap lumber now.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggyant

Jul 18, 2015
North Idaho
I just got a great hookup for scrap framing lumber and lots of it.
My wife's sister got a job as a drafter for a pre-fab housing place and they have tons of scrap wood every day, probably half a short box pickup full.
Who burns this stuff? I could probably get ten cords a year of this and it's all Douglas fir or red fir 2x6 type material in all kinds of various short lengths.
I was thinking of filling paper bags with the stuff and throwing it in a bag at a time.
What do you all think?

Sounds good, not sure about a whole bag at a time though, kiln dried lumber will burn HOT, a whole load of it will put you into the "melt the stove" range with some (many) stoves...

Reactions: Haven
I've been burning it the last few days for my morning and evening fire to keep the house warm.
My Quadrafire 3100 has been loving it! There is very little ash compared to cord wood it must be that there is no dirt or bark or anything on it.
Im sure it could get away from you if you don't watch your stove temps but I have a system of slamming the dampers closed all the way as soon as my stove top thermometer hits 450*. It is just a black hole with flames dancing up by the little tubes for a couple of hours.
Hopefully I don't roast my stove but I can't fathom burning my tamarack when I've got about a cord size pile of kiln dried fir sitting in a pile on the back porch.

I almost feel naughty getting so much free wood so easily. I just back my truck up to this big dumpster and start throwing it in.

I just got a great hookup for scrap framing lumber and lots of it.
My wife's sister got a job as a drafter for a pre-fab housing place and they have tons of scrap wood every day, probably half a short box pickup full.
Who burns this stuff? I could probably get ten cords a year of this and it's all Douglas fir or red fir 2x6 type material in all kinds of various short lengths.
I was thinking of filling paper bags with the stuff and throwing it in a bag at a time.
What do you all think?
I'd agree with other comments about making sure you don't let temp get away from you. I burn scrap aspen from a box making plant. Some of the bags have very uniform 1"X1"X16" pieces. During the day, I just throw a bunch in as needed. For overnight, I experimented with stacking them together to build a 8"X8"X16" block, then wrapped a piece of wire around it to hold it together. This worked surprising well and lasted several hours, but not overnight.
The other lesson I learned with these kiln dried sticks is you don't want to throw too much on top of a hot bed of coals as you can produce a whuff or back puff. Mine blew enough smoke out the air intakes to set off the smoke alarm.

Last edited:
I'd say make sure your wife is nice to her. Don't do anything to get her mad. That sounds like a winner. Keep it your secret though.

Don't you need to reload pretty often? That can get old. But free is free. Hmm, I hear the logging companies are hiring.

Don't you need to reload pretty often? That can get old. But free is free. Hmm, I hear the logging companies are hiring.

Right now it's not cold enough to keep the fire going. I only fire it before I leave for work so the wife has a warm house for the day and then again in the evening to kick it up before bed.
It'll last from about 6:30 at night to about 1:30 am if I pack it in.

I too burn scraps. Mostly oak pallets and such. As has been said u do have to watch u do not overheat the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.