oh crap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you? I've been feeling sorry because overnight temps here have been down in the 30s, but nine inches of snow?

You do know you needed to start looking for a stove this spring, at the latest, right?

gyrfalcon- I am just a little ways from the east entrance of Yellowstone. There is a cold front coming down from Canada- I would assume it will take a week to get to you, unless it fades out.
Yep- you are right about looking for a stove early, but I was not planning on staying up here- I usually go south for the winter, but just decided in September that I will stay. I wasn't planning on doing ANY more things to the house, as it is for sale. I have a creepy feeling that the house will take a LONG time to sell with the mess our US is in. If I knew I was going to spend the winter here......!! I needed my fortune teller's crystal ball.
Oh- I see it is snowing already in Burgess Junction- to be expected...there is also a winter storm watch. Better get out more blankets- I put most of them away so the house would be neater..
Inthe rockies- how far north of me are you? You get more snow than we do- you'll get it first-ha ha! I am actually in a little basin- about 5 miles square- we usually get very scant snow because it literally blows over me. I can see tons of snow about 5 miles away, but will have just a 'dusting' here. But I get the wind:(
Well, back to the paper and the computer to search. Aguy called me back last night- he had a 1960's stove- the kind that was on the 'Jetsons' cartoon-I passed.

I'm at 3600 ft. Overnight tonight they're calling for snow down to 3000 ft. If that happens, it'll be the first we've seen this season, although we've had lots of overnight frost. Rick

ilmbg,

I'm west of Glacier National Park. We had way too much snow last year--about 8 feet on the valley floor. It was the first time since I moved here that I had to get up on the roof to clear snow. Had to do it twice. It was almost waist-high both times I went up. Some of the higher mountains got over 30 ft. Snow pack never completely melted from the highest peak that you see from my house. Snow caps have been reforming over the past couple of weeks. Winter is definitely on its way; we went down to 20 F (-6 C) last night.

ilmbg said:
gyrfalcon- I am just a little ways from the east entrance of Yellowstone. There is a cold front coming down from Canada- I would assume it will take a week to get to you, unless it fades out.
Yep- you are right about looking for a stove early, but I was not planning on staying up here- I usually go south for the winter, but just decided in September that I will stay. I wasn't planning on doing ANY more things to the house, as it is for sale. I have a creepy feeling that the house will take a LONG time to sell with the mess our US is in. If I knew I was going to spend the winter here......!! I needed my fortune teller's crystal ball.
Oh- I see it is snowing already in Burgess Junction- to be expected...there is also a winter storm watch. Better get out more blankets- I put most of them away so the house would be neater..
Inthe rockies- how far north of me are you? You get more snow than we do- you'll get it first-ha ha! I am actually in a little basin- about 5 miles square- we usually get very scant snow because it literally blows over me. I can see tons of snow about 5 miles away, but will have just a 'dusting' here. But I get the wind:(
Well, back to the paper and the computer to search. Aguy called me back last night- he had a 1960's stove- the kind that was on the 'Jetsons' cartoon-I passed.

Good luck to you, on the stove and the house. You may have to settle for any old piece of crap you can find at this point. As for the early snow-- I guess you gotta pay some price for living in such gorgeous country. I don't usually start worrying about western weather systems until they reach the Midwest, and I sure hope yours peters out before then. I'm definitely NOT READY. Last winter was long and ugly-- no biggie storms but just 4 to 6 to 8 inches every week or so, a little melt, then a freeze, that eventually added up to 9 feet plus of stacked snow and ice layers by the time spring finally got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.