Oh no the Damper!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

starkmojo

Aug 21, 2017
Eugene
Well things have been going all to well for my woodstove install; I mean its a year behind schedule and over budget but what with the job, five kids and the farm things are bound slip. But now fall is on the horizon and the prospect of another year using oil heat while my Beautiful new-to-me Defiant Encore sits eating up real estate in the living room just wont do. So built the hearth bump out per the manufacturers directions (which is all the code here requires) bought all required heat shields... I had a estimate done of the install and was using that as a guideline until I noticed they were going to use a 6' pipe, while the manufacturer says in the manual (in bold, capitalized, quoted, with circles and arrows on the back of each one... you get the picture) USE 8" PIPE. And, while the loal code doesnt have much it does say "Must be installed in accordance with all manufacturers recommendations" so... that was out. I measured the flu, 10" x 13" (great) set up a mock of the horizontal pipe with single wall to the chimney, looked good with room to spare for double wall, bought a 8" liner and 1/2" insulation kit, great, then... went to measure the damper 4" wide door. The damper has a metal bar below it and bricks under that. . .

So my question is how much stuff am I going to have to cut out to get the liner through. its the flexible not- smootbore type. How much will it ovalize? I will get some pics on here when my phone charges. But any advice would be appreciated.

Going through a damper is not usually recommended although a 6" liner can be ovalize to fit through some dampers.
An 8" liner would not be recommended to ovalize through a damper, it would restrict the air flow so much it would not draft well. For 8" liners the Damper door, and frame are usually removed, and maybe part of the smoke shelf, to help with the installation.

Yeah you will have to pull the damper frame and probably a couple courses of brick to make it fit.

Yes I was planning on that... My question is how many bricks? How much space I would I need (or how far can I ovalize a 8" pipe)?

I am a pretty handy guy. I have built rooms, rehabbed garages, replumbed and rewired a house, laid slate, tile and wood floors etc. Just never done any work on fireplaces. I have an angle grinder and goggles. Just wondering where to start.

Get the torch, chisel and mini sledge hammer, also wear eye protection, brick pieces hurt when it gets in your eye..don't ask me how I know that.

Get the torch, chisel and mini sledge hammer, also wear eye protection, brick pieces hurt when it gets in your eye..don't ask me how I know that.
you dont need a torch an angle grinder with a cut off wheel works just fine with allot less hastle

I am way more comfortable with an angle grinder than a torch. done a lot of metal cutting not much torch work
I have cut out at least 100 damper frames and never used a torch it is unnecessary overkill.

Reactions: Squisher