Oil Delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa220

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2012
central ME
I know the season has just started, But my home gets cool fairly quickly and we have had several nights of low 30s and days of only low 50s. I have burned 10 bags in the last three weeks.

I got an automatic oil deliver today......and I only needed 73 gallons! All used to heat the water, not the air.

Is there a fireworks Smiley anywhere?

Reactions: The Ds and SteveB
You might want to cancel the automatic delivery before the oil man tries to charge you delivery charges cause you're not using enough.

Reactions: pen
Glad to hear it Melissa.
You have to get used to the oil man giving you a sneer when he talks to you now.==c
Continued success.
---Nailer---

Reactions: The Ds
Hello

After I got my pellet stove 3 years ago, I cancelled the auto delivery and the oil company. Now I use the oil company that gives a discount for cash and save even more $$$

Glad to hear it Melissa.
You have to get used to the oil man giving you a sneer when he talks to you now.==c
Continued success.
---Nailer---

I still try and talk to the oil man as often as I used to. I just mosey over to the neighbors house when they get a fill up. I ask the price of oil and then I look so surprised when I hear the answer because I wait till spring before I buy any more!

fireworks.gif
I know the season has just started, But my home gets cool fairly quickly and we have had several nights of low 30s and days of only low 50s. I have burned 10 bags in the last three weeks.

I got an automatic oil deliver today......and I only needed 73 gallons! All used to heat the water, not the air.
Is there
a fireworks Smiley anywhere?

Yeahhh...it's a great feeling.

Last year after I unhooked my oil furnace they oil man sent me a $190 bill for contractual maintenance. I called him and told him we were all done with that noise.

You might want to cancel the automatic delivery before the oil man tries to charge you delivery charges cause you're not using enough.
I would love to, but with three zones I still need oil in case I need heat in the upstairs and basment zones where the pellet heat may not get to. Yeah, I could call around and get the best price when needed, but I also pay for the service plan which means when I call, they come, even if it's 2:30 in the morning. And there is no charge. I have been told by the guy that cleans it every year that my oil burner is OLD so I'm paying for peace of mind right now too.

I would love to, but with three zones I still need oil in case I need heat in the upstairs and basment zones where the pellet heat may not get to. Yeah, I could call around and get the best price when needed, but I also pay for the service plan which means when I call, they come, even if it's 2:30 in the morning. And there is no charge. I have been told by the guy that cleans it every year that my oil burner is OLD so I'm paying for peace of mind right now too.

You can have all that without auto delivery.Or have a conversation with them and let them know you'll be using less so they might want to space the auto delivery out a little more.

I had been paying the oil company $300 per month year round. When I got the stove installed, I did call and tell them that I had a pellet stove, and that I wanted to reduce my monthly payment to $150. Right now, the difference is going into pellets!

Usually, their computer system suggests when you need oil based on delivery quantities. I'd still give em a call though. If they give you some story of how the price will go up $.10/gal, make sure you tell em you're going to look elsewhere.......UNLESS, they service your equipment and you're happy with that. Def don't burn that bridge. A competent service man is priceless.

Edit- Congrats on the low oil consumption : )

yes, well, I'm not too sure how competent the last service tech was who cleaned my burner. No, competent is not the right word. He was not too smart. I asked him about how something worked and I got a non-answer that was supposed to suffice as an answer because apparently, as a woman, I was not intelligent enough to understand.

Word of mouth is usually a great way to find a new service tech. While living in a rural area there's fewer choices, "word", good or bad, tends to travel faster.

I'm on automatic delivery, but the oil company knows about my reduced usage. When their computer calls for a delivery, they call me to see if I want it. I have calibrated the gauge on my tank, so I know how much oil I am down, so I tell them yes or no, and if yes, about how many gallons it will take. When they have a truck in the area, they'll make a delivery, and don't charge any extra fees, since they are on the street anyway. They are good to work with, and I feel sorta bad for them that the oil prices are so high, since many people are reducing their oil consumption.

The smallest delivery I've gotten is about 65 gallons. The driver left a nice note to make sure that my tank was full, since he expected to deliver 3 times that (that was before the arrangement about calling me).

OIL, burn in HELL!!

I used Irving oil for years but last fall I stuck in the old woodstove and never looked back. I did call them to say that their services would no longer be needed.
That felt great!

Status
Not open for further replies.