Oil Prices Now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love trucks and they will figure out a way for the future and maybe some kind of a vacuum for smaller items and "freight" by truck or train for the larger items.. Banks had vacuum systems to transport things to the teller why not smaller special delivery things going to a central location in the cities and it would be faster too---Heck build them in the air--clear tunnels and stuff so that you can see them moving. Maybe hard plastic things that can be made from recycled material to get rid of it...I can see this but of course at that time I might have another address.. lol Love the discussions to and fro was interesting to read your different points of view..Love it clancey

WTI broke $110/barrel this morning.

I guess I was 2 months early on my $100 oil prediction, but here we are.

Hang on, I don't think this is the end of the price increases yet...

Nope not yet. Palm oil was way up too. Didn’t know Ukrainian grows so many sun flowers. I don’t see this dropping back below 95$ 6 in months or even longer.

I wonder what will happen with natural gas, in Europe. If at some point Russia stops pumping gas (b/c Europe can't pay for it, no SWIFT for Russia?), it'll be a bad energy situation even worse.

Of course this does not compare to the troubles people go through that are in war zones.

European gas prices are approaching all time highs right now.

Germany has already promised to build 2 new LNG offload terminals to replace Russian gas. I suspect that countries with new oil and gas development bans will relax these to some extent. Short term national security/sovereignty concerns are going to trump long term environmental concerns.

I wonder what will happen with natural gas, in Europe. If at some point Russia stops pumping gas (b/c Europe can't pay for it, no SWIFT for Russia?), it'll be a bad energy situation even worse.

Of course this does not compare to the troubles people go through that are in war zones.
It’s a whole energy policy rethink. Quickest way to restart coal and nuclear that recently went offline and delay those that were scheduled to be decommissioned. Short term is not a good solution environmentally but an accelerated transition to electric heat and putting that infrastructure in place that can be power with renewables sooner is good long term. It’s going to be a rough 12 months for the EU energy sector in particular. And of course pail in comparison with to what people in Ukraine are personally experiencing. I don’t see how the conflict will be resolved in 12 months.

Lots of large players are not going out in the field in the US doing new drilling as they are betting this is short term and they will get nailed with a lot of expensive oil when the supply swings back to oversupply. Make them some guarantees that they will be covered and they will head back into the fields.

I suspect Germany is going to be importing way more wood pellets from the forests of Eastern NC for a while.

I suspect Germany is going to be importing way more wood pellets from the forests of Eastern NC for a while.
A sad reality but one I am ok with given the situation. I guess. NCDEQ approved dredging to make the turning basin larger at the port of Wilmington so we can accommodate bigger boats. Not sure what the bulk transport ships need but plenty of people ready to sell them more pellets. Probably more people upset by the destruction and having plants and associated truck traffic next to their homes. I don’t have any concept of the increased quantity they might require or really how much is even shipped out on a regular basis.

Evan

A sad reality but one I am ok with given the situation. I guess. NCDEQ approved dredging to make the turning basin larger at the port of Wilmington so we can accommodate bigger boats. Not sure what the bulk transport ships need but plenty of people ready to sell them more pellets. Probably more people upset by the destruction and having plants and associated truck traffic next to their homes. I don’t have any concept of the increased quantity they might require or really how much is even shipped out on a regular basis.

Evan

The way the Eastern NC long leaf pine forests are being ruthlessly harvested and the following exploitation of impoverished locals is nothing short of atrocious. Perhaps now will be the time for making some changes to the way things are done since there is a captive market that will be more or less forced to pay the higher cost of doing business in a way that does not exploit the environment or local populations. On the other hand I do live in reality and know this will just be more exploitation of Eastern NC, but like you I guess(?) this is better than funding the Russian war machine.

Reactions: EbS-P
Lots of large players are not going out in the field in the US doing new drilling as they are betting this is short term and they will get nailed with a lot of expensive oil when the supply swings back to oversupply. Make them some guarantees that they will be covered and they will head back into the fields.
This is a good point, there are plenty of open leases that are not being filled.

Reactions: woodey

And let the friendly neighbors to the north build a pipe to supply some more?

Reactions: woodey and johneh
And let the friendly neighbors to the north build a pipe to supply some more?
I don't think it would even be used at this point. NA is not hurting for easily accessible and affordable fossil fuels.

I don't think it would even be used at this point. NA is not hurting for easily accessible and affordable fossil fuels.

Depending on if sanctions against Russia also include the importation of oil or gas. 2021 stats show the US importing 750,000 bpd of oil and oil products from Russia. That's a significant hole to fill in that scenario.

Gas prices here at my local station hit 661.9 cents per US Gallion
or 795.1 per Canadian gallon. 174.9 cents a liter.
Think I'll get the buggy out and use one of my hay burners

Reactions: EbS-P
$1.559/liter here in Edmonton this morning, but its also a 20 minute drive to western Canada's 3 largest refineries.

$1.559/liter here in Edmonton this morning, but its also a 20 minute drive to western Canada's 3 largest refineries.

That's what we were paying yesterday
what a difference a day makes

I say make a deal with Iran, lift sanctions and let them pump more oil into the market. Do the same with Venezuela.

And I was reading the shale producers want to increase output too, to take advantage of these prices.

That'd be rather inconsistent foreign policy: we don't like what you do/stand for, so sanctions.
10 years later: ah, another one where we don't like what they do or stand for - so let's lift sanctions on the first so we don't get hurt if we apply our principles on the second...?

Regardless of political policy, I don't believe opening the taps back up in Iran will solve the problem. China has been buying up Iranian oil regardless of sanctions, and by current estimates there is only another 1.3 million bpd to bring online in Iran. Russia currently produces just over 10 million bpd, which would put the world in turmoil if this production was suddenly lost, which I believe is possible in the given situation.

The most secure means is to get drilling rigs in the field in North America, but that still means oil prices will remain high for the next 1-2 years while that production comes online.

Reactions: Bobbob and EbS-P
I see a lot of investment into batteries and renewables happening soon.
It's happening now but it takes time to build serious infrastructure so we won't see the results for 2-3 yrs. Also, major battery recycling plants are breaking ground and getting built.

It's happening now but it takes time to build serious infrastructure so we won't see the results for 2-3 yrs. Also, major battery recycling plants are breaking ground and getting built.
I don't see trade with Russia going back to "normal" in the next 2-3 years.

I don't see trade with Russia going back to "normal" in the next 2-3 years.
Without a regime change I agree, but how does that relate to investment in battery infrastructure?

Status
Not open for further replies.