Oiling up an Englander?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
My used englander 25pvd has noisy fans, is there any way to oil them to eliminate any excessive noise? I have never heard another englander so i don't now what is normal. I was hoping some oil my quiet things down. The top auger also makes lots of noise occasionally it is louder then both fans combined. If i can oil either fans or the auger let me know!

Thanks

Don't know what year your PDV is, but most combustion fans that Englander uses these days are ball bearing units, and really have no place to put oil. That said, I still put a few drops on the areas I can reach, but doubt it's really doing much.

The convection fan motor is another thing. There is probably 2 oil "holes" on the motor that can be lubed with 2-3 drops of light weight 3-in1 (blue can for elect. motors), or 20w non-detergent motor oil. They are sometimes on the "top" where you can see them, and sometimes also have yellow plugs covering them, or if it's like my 10-cpm, the holes were actually on the underside....I only saw them after I removed the motor/blower to clean it. I'll post a pic at the end here.

As for the auger motor, most of the motors have sleeve bearings....it's possible to get some oil in them....use the same oil I mentioned above.
The gear case could also be opened (very carefully), the "old" original grease carefully cleaned out & re-packed with fresh wheel bearing grease.

Here's what the oil "holes" look like:

Attachments

• blower lube ports.jpg
    blower lube ports.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 543
I would be nervous to take the auger motor apart to pack ne grease in, yet buying a new one if I don't would be a pain as well. Any instructions on the process?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.