OK, did I just create a negative draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mentioned that heights weren't your thing, however; I think you (or someone else) is going to have to get on the roof to inspect the cap assembly and look straight down the stack to ensure that "nothing" is obstructed. If that is clear, then I suggest you get a pro out to assist. If it looks from the bottom as if their is a partial blockage on the screen, it could certainly be causing your problem.

It really depends. The newer caps just twist on, with no tools required for removal. You may have an older cap that has screws in it. It is something you will need to assess when you get there. Might be good to have someone on the ground to fetch tools for you if needed. Be careful and good luck.

OK, I just came down from the roof and I think I found the problem. I took off the rain cap and found that the entire screen and cap was packed full of creosote (at least that is what I believe it to be). I was able to get it all out of the cap and reinstalled the cap with no problems. The actual chimney itself doesnt look to have too much built up inside it (this looking from the stove up) but should I get a sweep and get the chimney cleaned out before I burn again? I don't really understand how I got so much of a buildup of creosote so fast. I had everything installed brand new just over two months ago. I have been mostly burning pine but it is pine that has been sitting around for over four years now. THanks for everyones help in understanding my issue and trying to get it resolved.

That's what I thought you'd find. Dry wood is the key.

It's not that uncommon with less than perfect wood being burned with cooler fall fires. A good practice is to have one hot fire a day to stop this buildup. And in fall/spring, to burn shorter hotter fires. However, you'll need to determine whether you need to have the chimney cleaned first before trying this.

The spark arrestor screen in your chimney cap is the coldest part of your flue system, and so the most likely place for creosote to condense. Yes, it can plug a screen to the point of choking the system. Many people burn without screens installed, but in lots of places (like where I live) they're required because of the danger of wildfire. They also serve to keep birds, bats, & etc. out of the chimney. Keep an eye on it, and clean it as necessary. Getting a sweep to clean/inspect the system is never a bad idea...dunno if that's required here, since you probably found and corrected the major problem. There are lots of choices of chimney caps, and some of them are taller and offer more free area for the exhaust of flue gases. Even with a screen installed, this may be a help, as it will take longer to get restricted. Other than that, just burn the best wood you can, and avoid low, smoldering fires always. I'm still troubled by the OAK being "buried" in insulation and sealed inside the plastic vapor barrier...makes no sense to me at all. Good work getting that problem figured out and solved for the time being. Might as well fire it up and see how it performs, I'd say. Rick

The creosote could be building up on the flue and then flaking off, getting carried by the draft up to the spark arrestor where it gets trapped.

Cleaning the chimney is not that hard. Get yourself the right size brush and the fibreglass rods. It sounds like your roof is not that steep or high.

After reading the first post, my thought was the cap was plugged. Glad you found the prob. Let it be a lesson :)

fossil said:
Many people burn without screens installed, but in lots of places (like where I live) they're required because of the danger of wildfire.

OK, so I could take the screen out if it is not required in my area. I did burn last night with no issues and plan to just hop up on the roof every couple of weeks to keep an eye on things up there.

You might be able to take the screen out, but it is showing up another problem It shouldn't be clogging in the first place. It looks like either your wood isn't as seasoned as it should be, or you are burning it too slowly. The rest of the chimney is getting dirty as well. Definitely keep an eye on things up there!

CHris

I don't have a screen on my chimney. A screen would be a PITA with some of the paper I burned for fire starter. In fact, I stopped burning flyers because of all the black flecks it leaves all over the yard. Some of those flyers will hardly even burn.

Redox said:
You might be able to take the screen out, but it is showing up another problem It shouldn't be clogging in the first place. It looks like either your wood isn't as seasoned as it should be, or you are burning it too slowly. The rest of the chimney is getting dirty as well. Definitely keep an eye on things up there!

CHris

It might still be an issue with the pine that I am burning. The pine has been sitting for around four years so I figured it was plenty seasoned though. I only have 2 cords of this stuff left then it's on to Oak and Maple for the winter. I will definitely keep an eye on things, I don't want to find myself out on the curb due to a chimney fire...

There is nothing wrong with burning pine, and despite common mythology, it won't line your chimney with creosote - unless it isn't seasoned, or if you burn it slow - but all woods will line your flue with creosote if they aren't seasoned or are smoldered - the gases don't burn completly, and they condense on the flue surface on the way up.

Given it is only a low roof, I'd get yourself a ladder, brush and rods and clean the flue. As well, start burning a real hot fast fire every time you start the stove - if you are worried about getting it all too hot, then get a thermometer to help you guage the temps.

How tall is your flue (from stove to top)? If you don't have enough flue (check your stove manual - most recommend 15 feet min, and that is only if it is perfectly straight - you must add more for each turn and elbow), you won't get enough draft, you'll get a slow incomplete burn, and you will foul the flue often

Your pine is a few years old, but how is it stored? Is it damp? Seasoned pine will tend to pick up more moisture than seasoned hardwood, so it is more important to keep it covered and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.