Ok, I have a fun question... old smoke detectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It started going off for no reason tonight. Looking back, it's probably 11 or 12 years old, past the 10 year battery. What do you do with this thing? You used to be able to take the battery out and make it shut up. Having it go off in my trash can seems awkward for the neighbors. My wife doesn't like it going off inside. I really don't blame her. She didn't like my idea of a trip to the local convenience store/Walmart and their trash can. I'm thinking an adjustment via framing hammer? Its currently wrapped up in my kid's comforter because she's having a sleepover and not home. She'll eventually come home though.

I thought mine had a tab on the back to permanently disable and then they would no longer secure to the base plate. Don’t they have a bit of radioactive material in them? Or were those the older ones. I bet you can pry the plastic off and find the battery.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, most smoke detectors have Americium-241 in them. No way I'd be smashing it with a hammer if that's the temptation.

If there is no other way to silence it, I'd open the cover and cut the wire to the siren, then bring it in for disposal.

My mother has one that is not old enough to be past its expiration date, but it started going off when there is no reason. When I talked to her the other night, she had put it in the car outside to muffle the sound. I’ll have to ask her if it stopped going off. She hasn’t mentioned it since.

We have smoke detectors that are hardwired into our house’s electrical system, but they also have battery backups, and they drive us crazy. We change them more than the twice a year, and they still let off chirps in the night a couple times a year. I don’t know if it has to do with the electrical current, but it seems to be often when the weather is changing. It’s incredibly aggravating, especially as we have high ceilings, and depending on which alarm it is, it requires dragging out quite a big ladder and hauling it up the stairs in the middle of the night. The last time this happened (only a few weeks after we changed the battery) we took down the hardwired detector, and we’re now relying on simple battery detectors (with new batteries) that have not given us such problems (yet).

UPS them to people you don't like? That's a good way to get rid of those infernal styrofoam peanuts too, so maybe pack them in plenty of those!

How about drowning one in some salt water?

Reactions: Vg3200p and EbS-P
It’s been replaced. I have no idea what happened to the old alarm. My wife took it somewhere. Im not going to ask questions until I need to, lol

@DuaeGuttae
Ones thst randomly go off before the end of (battery) life.may be because of dust. A good vacuum cleaning might help.

It could be dust- (or insect- or scorpion-) related. We have done the good vacuuming, but it doesn’t get done all that often since that also involves hauling out a big ladder that is too heavy for me to carry up and down the stairs. We don’t have the same problem with the other detectors, though, so at this point we’ll just use the plain old battery powered ones. We won’t go without detectors.