Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a picture of my fire wood (the orange dead ones), I have yet to cut and stack it, but there is plenty of it (thousands of years worth) and I know exactly where to get it, it's just waiting for me to come and get it.
MPB_July8_03.jpg

A shot of the wood stacks after we had a few trees taken down.

4619318254_be5808e8e6.jpg

Now I've moved all the wood to the processing area and have begun to split some. So much more to do!

4947790887_38d35ea110.jpg

Archer39 said:
. . .
the red oak
IMG_3499.jpg

Is the rope attached to the tree designed to keep that one still-living tree from getting away before you have a chance to take it down? ;) :)

Some of the wood stacks, we have sugar maple,beech and cherry.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0838.jpg
    100_0838.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 100_1347.jpg
    100_1347.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,457
iceman said:
L
cptoneleg said:
Iceman you sure have everything covered that will keep a body warm which do you like best Wood? Pellets? N Gas? Elct.? or Oil? Just wondering You are the only person I have ever heard of with that many. Do You Have an emergency generator?

Cpt. P.S. stay warm

Lol.we hardly lose electricity.... couple hours ever couple years.. so no to gen.. but someday.
To be honest I am starting to like my pellet stove now after 10+ years..... but I don't like buying pellets ! I have found a way for the pellet stove to heat a larger area than what I intended. So that's a plus ..... Nat gas fireplace is nice to click on and let it heat its area ... it runs a. Lot when gas is cheap! Furnace works the best but I just can't pay the oil guy 2000+ ever year.... I will buy more than the 100 gallons a year when /if it ever goes below $ 1.75 even then $1750 could be to high.... the wood keeps coming so that's what I will continue as my primary... but I am thinking reduce the amount I stack to allow for better air and maybe I won't have to wait so long and possibly use less as the quality will be better. Problem is will it be ready? Gotta think that 3 cords with about 2-4 inches in between with sun most of the summer should be ready with 3 summers ?[/b]

If you have 3 years for it to dry you don't much have to worry about any space between the rows. It will still dry in that time frame. I've stacked 9 or 10 rows tight together and it is all dry after 3 years.

firefighterjake said:
Archer39 said:
. . .
the red oak
IMG_3499.jpg

Is the rope attached to the tree designed to keep that one still-living tree from getting away before you have a chance to take it down? ;) :)

My mouth is watering just looking at that beech.

Okay, so not the purdiest stacks going, but they seem to be working out for me. None have fallen over... yet.
The two far left piles are from trees we had taken down a year ago May, mostly ash and maple. The rest of the wood in the picture was all scrounged and is made up of maple, cherry, ash, a little bit of elm, and probably a few I'm not 100% sure of. These stacks are 2-3 piles deep. To the far right is a pile of stuff that still needs to be c/s/s.
The other picture of the stacks under the deck are a cord of red and white oak I bought back in March or April because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find wood for myself through scrounging. It was cut/split back in January and I was hoping to burn it this year, but after reading how long it takes for oak to dry, I might be leaving most of it sit for awhile, though some of it does seem to be drying nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,373
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,368
firefighterjake said:
Archer39 said:
. . .
the red oak
IMG_3499.jpg

Yep, and its doing a good job of it. :p

Love it started to ask about rope string . nice looking Wood.

Cpt

This is my work. Not sure how far ahead I am but only taking oak at this point.

Attachments

• P9010002.jpg
    P9010002.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,328
  • P9010003.jpg
    P9010003.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,297
Carbon_Liberator said:
Here is a picture of my fire wood (the orange dead ones), I have yet to cut and stack it, but there is plenty of it (thousands of years worth) and I know exactly where to get it, it's just waiting for me to come and get it.
MPB_July8_03.jpg

Ha ha.
+1

I had to drag my lazy butt out and take some pics for this thread, my estimate is about 12 cord tucked away here....

4951787747_f6124b8436_z.jpg

4951787731_13273d1dae_z.jpg

4951787743_03782209dc_z.jpg

ansehnlich1 said:
I had to drag my lazy butt out and take some pics for this thread, my estimate is about 12 cord tucked away here....

Holy s@&$! We need a contest on "who's stack is the straightest/ neat" man those are a stacking work of art!

Well iceman, thanks for the kind words. I'm a bit obssessive compulsive :)

I like to stack 'em once and not worry about 'em after that.

Hey Todd, and zapny make some real nice piles, and PapaDave appears to have the same disorder, he appears to use a straighedge on his piles, savage should get a blue ribbon on his stacks, and Archer39 don't seem to find crooked acceptable either haha!

ansehnlich1 said:
Hey Todd, and zapny make some real nice piles, and PapaDave appears to have the same disorder, he appears to use a straighedge on his piles, savage should get a blue ribbon on his stacks, and Archer39 don't seem to find crooked acceptable either haha!

We might really have to get a poll going!

It also looks like every cut that Ansehnlich1 has is exactly the same lenght.

ansehnlich1 said:
Well iceman, thanks for the kind words. I'm a bit obssessive compulsive :)

I like to stack 'em once and not worry about 'em after that.

That right there is why i take time to make them nice. I hate doing things twice. If something is worth doing it is worth doing right the first time or not doing it at all.

Bspring said:
It also looks like every cut that Ansehnlich1 has is exactly the same lenght.

Ya, I got a little German in me and it makes me want to do stuff right....funny thing is though, I have some REAL Germans in my life and they think my piles are a bit ratty lookin.....guess a couple generations in the ole USA have tempered my perfectionism a bit.

ansehnlich1 said:

Mine don't compare, great job.

zap

zapny said:
Mine don't compare, great job.

You are much too modest.

ansehnlich1 said:

O K #1 I have ever seen . You have my vote for #1 best stacks I have seen. Keep up the good work .

Cpt.

Hello all. I'm new here, so I thought I would post a few pics of a few stacks I've been working on. This is one of my stacks mostly hemlock and doug fir. We bought a new Enviro Kodiak this year will be our first full winter using it - can't wait. Ron

Attachments

• DSC03064.jpg
    DSC03064.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,378
  • DSC03069.jpg
    DSC03069.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,362
  • DSC03071.jpg
    DSC03071.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,357
  • DSC03068.jpg
    DSC03068.jpg