OK To Stack Pellet Bags On Dry Basement Floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I put things on top of 1 inch foamboard. It acts as a vapor barrier.

Reactions: bogieb
The floor will stay dry until you cover it with plastic (Pellet Bags) then it will draw moisture through the concrete.

Bill

OK To Stack Pellet Bags On Dry Basement Floor?

I stack them on pallets. Just got done bringing in this year's stash!

View attachment 199459
I stack them on pallets. Just got done bringing in this year's stash!
PALLET are the way to go if u can get them in your basements.

[my 1st year burning.. stove chows and Energex... way too much ash..no more.
Softwoods now..

Attachments

• OK To Stack Pellet Bags On Dry Basement Floor?
    IMG_1878.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Pete Zahria
16 high in the garage - that last row is very tough with a less than 8' tall ceiling, and 14 high in the basement (the pallet on the right is 6 bags per row). I covered the pallets with some scrap 3/8" plywood to ensure any weak points in the pallets would be covered. The step stool is invaluable once you get to a certain point.

I moved 5 tons from the yard to the garage and basement on Sunday - all the okies in the garage were already there. Since I had to handle each bag twice (throw into truck, drive to garage door, then carry into house/garage), I lifted 10 tons. Yeah, I'm a girl.

View attachment 198204

View attachment 198205

Impressive stock. I see you have inferno gold as well. I purchased a ton of inferno the end of last season from Big Y when they were 199.00. I found they work nearly as well as my Oakies. How do you find the infernos? Manly

Impressive stock. I see you have inferno gold as well. I purchased a ton of inferno the end of last season from Big Y when they were 199.00. I found they work nearly as well as my Oakies. How do you find the infernos? Manly
I have no complaints with the Infernos, and I am of the same opinion as you comparatively.

I bought 10 tons of Inferno's and Maine's Choice 1.5 years ago for $100/ton (during the fire sales of overstock). The Oakies I got for $249/ton (3 tons bought). Burned mainly Infernos and Oakies last winter as that is what was up front and got stacked into my basement/garage/shed. The rest got wrapped up nice and tight to ride out the winter in my yard.

Spent less that spring for 2 years of heat than I normally pay for one year. Next year will be a shock as I'll have to actually buy pellets again :)

I have no complaints with the Infernos, and I am of the same opinion as you comparatively.

I bought 10 tons of Inferno's and Maine's Choice 1.5 years ago for $100/ton (during the fire sales of overstock). The Oakies I got for $249/ton (3 tons bought). Burned mainly Infernos and Oakies last winter as that is what was up front and got stacked into my basement/garage/shed. The rest got wrapped up nice and tight to ride out the winter in my yard.

Spent less that spring for 2 years of heat than I normally pay for one year. Next year will be a shock as I'll have to actually buy pellets again :)

Those were some incredulous prices. I paid $319.00 a per ton for 3 tons of Oakies last year. That's why I jumped on $199.00 for the infernos. Going into my second full season of pellet burning, so I am still refining my fuel gathering strategy. I now know I can hand load a full ton of pellets into my Tacoma, so I will search around for sales and deals as they crop up. The delivery charges from suppliers is a killer unless you buy large quantities, and I don't have a garage at this time for unloading pallets into. A lot of hand stacking here. It's ok, keeps me strong and Manly. Manly

Reactions: bogieb
lots of ambitious pellet stacking going on!
I have been storing pellets in my carport, on pallets as delivered. This year I am converting fully to pellets, have been running a pellet stove & a pellet stove. So I need more pellet storage space.
For expanded storage, I have a shed on the side of my barn I have used for firewood previously. It has a roof , but it is open on the side--it gets no snow inside. What is everyone's thoughts about using this area to store more pellets? I appreciate any advice!
Larry in CT

For expanded storage, I have a shed on the side of my barn I have used for firewood previously. It has a roof , but it is open on the side--it gets no snow inside. What is everyone's thoughts about using this area to store more pellets? I appreciate any advice!
I would then throw a decent tarp over them to be on the safe side

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb and LD71
Site now won't let me properly spell hoarders either, swap the o and the a around

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray