Ok, what do I need to make my saw cut better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Congratulations?

Sorry I had the flu and misplaced mh manners. I think my point was you might want to invest more then the cost of a sharpening in a chain that should last you a few years with your light usage.

Ok, put the BPX on with the 16" bar, and...
No difference. I had sharpened the old chain again, and it cut pretty quickly. Both took about 18 seconds to cut through 15" elm round. If anything, the 20" bar was a bit quicker. Really though, pretty close. Nice fat chips from both chains. I bogged once or twice with the large bar, but nothing significant. I'm going to pick up some wood tomorrow. I may or may not try out the lpx tomorrow, but will compare bpx v. lpx when I c/s/s next week.

Ok, put the BPX on with the 16" bar, and...
No difference. I had sharpened the old chain again, and it cut pretty quickly. Both took about 18 seconds to cut through 15" elm round. If anything, the 20" bar was a bit quicker. Really though, pretty close. Nice fat chips from both chains. I bogged once or twice with the large bar, but nothing significant. I'm going to pick up some wood tomorrow. I may or may not try out the lpx tomorrow, but will compare bpx v. lpx when I c/s/s next week.

200_s.gif

I've got 4 decades in, and have only hand filed - no guides, no other tools, and most of the time no handle on the file either.

I've been hand filing too. Not quite 4 decades, but close. I tried a file guide about 35 years ago but the bare file worked better for me. I've cut with people who use grinders and for the first 1/2 hour their chain seems about as sharp as mine. But mine stays sharp a lot longer. Not sure why but it's hard to beat a pair of leather gloves and a round file.