Old block fireplace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alexander L

Oct 31, 2014
SoCal Desert
Hi all!
I have a question about a fireplace I saw yesterday. It was in an old mid-century home out in the CA high desert. I am looking for my next project, and I have been eying this derelict 1955 block house.

This place has a large block fireplace in the main living room. I imagine that it is original to the house... I can't be sure. What I did notice was that there are two clay flues exiting the top of the chimney above the roof. Does this mean that the clay flues continue all the way down to the firebox? As in... the entire flue inside of the bock chimney is likely clay? I figured it probably is.

If so (clay flue), does this mean that the flue, if functional, would need to be lined with stainless?

I had no flashlight with me, nor did I stick my head in there to have a look. I was just in the area and wanted to look the place over. Squatters/party kids have obviously used the fireplace over the years.

full&d=1529376445.jpg full&d=1529376445.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you planning to do with it? It clearly smokes as an open fireplace due to the smoke staining. We dont know the condition of the clay or the clearances from the masonry either so there is no way for us to know

After looking at the pic closer it is clear you dont have the required 2" of clearance between tge chimney and combustibles so there is no way it can meet code with clay liners

I realize there is no way for anyone here to know for sure what is going on without detailed pics....
I was just curious if the presence of the two clay pipes at the top of the chimney, as well as the year of the home, suggest that the flue is probably clay?

For all I know, squatters have used that fireplace with the flue closed. No clue. I can see the lever... but did not check the operation of the flue. There are no windows/doors in place. The window openings are very large.... so air flow is unrestricted. I have no Idea what squatters have burned in there... logs... furniture, fallen building materials, etc.

Bholler, regarding the 2" clearance to combustibles from the chimney, would a steel liner bring it to code compliance?

I realize there is no way for anyone here to know for sure what is going on without detailed pics....
I was just curious if the presence of the two clay pipes at the top of the chimney, as well as the year of the home, suggest that the flue is probably clay?

For all I know, squatters have used that fireplace with the flue closed. No clue. I can see the lever... but did not check the operation of the flue. There are no windows/doors in place. The window openings are very large.... so air flow is unrestricted. I have no Idea what squatters have burned in there... logs... furniture, fallen building materials, etc.

Bholler, regarding the 2" clearance to combustibles from the chimney, would a steel liner bring it to code compliance?
It is clearly clay lined. But also not code compliant because of lack of clear as nce. And yes a stainless liner as long as it is properly insulated could bring it up to code

Reactions: Alexander L
The reason I ask... I can see the raised brick hearth maybe being knocked out (provided it is not structural to the block chimney), and place a small freestanding stove on the floor and tie into the existing flue. I am imagining that doing something like this would require that the flue be stainless... or some type of class A. Makes sense that it would need to be updated to meet clearances and pass any inspections.
I appreciate the info!

Last edited:
What is the clay flue liner size, 8x12? Do you know what is the second flue for?

What is the clay flue liner size, 8x12? Do you know what is the second flue for?

Sorry, bg.... no clue as to the liner size. Have no idea why two flues out the top of chimney. That fireplace is the only thing in the block fireplace structure in that room, though you can see that there is what looks to be a vent in the chimney to the left of the fireplace. It is the only fireplace in the house. Small 1000 sqft single story.

Like I said... I was only checking the place out. I had only seen exterior pics and could see there was a chimney... but I was shocked at the size of the fireplace when I walked into that room. I figured that the clay flues meant that there would be upgrading involved to meet current codes when pulling a renovation permit. I will dig into the search function and look for info on what is involved when lining/upgrading a chimney like this one.

Okay, after some reading... I think I better understand the clearances issue, and the need for the insulated stainless liner - as pointed out by bholler. Next time I am out there I will have a closer look and see what might be going on with the two flues above. Also curious what that vent in the block to the left of the fireplace does. Again, thanks for the info!

Okay, after some reading... I think I better understand the clearances issue, and the need for the insulated stainless liner - as pointed out by bholler. Next time I am out there I will have a closer look and see what might be going on with the two flues above. Also curious what that vent in the block to the left of the fireplace does. Again, thanks for the info!
It lets air in between the 2 metal kayers of the firebox which then goes through tubes in the damper area and out the top vent

Reactions: Alexander L
Cool. Thanks, bh! I wouldn’t have thought a mid/late 50s fireplace would have such a feature. I was wondering if it had been updated at some point.