Old cast iron BK Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FFFPatriot

Dec 2, 2022
Montana
Howdy folks. I'm wondering if anyone around here who has an old cast iron BK has installed an aftermarket catalytic combuster into it. I've seen cylindrical shaped ones that look like they go into the exhaust collar(?) on the stove I'm assuming? Or does a custom bracket of some kind need to be constructed for a combuster to sit in?
Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Do you know what model this is? Maybe post a picture of the front and the back for ID if uncertain. There are retrofit cat kits, but I don't think they are that effective for heating because the sit right on the flue collar so most of the heat goes up the stack.

(AFAIK, all BK stoves are made of steel.)

Thanks Begreen for the reply. I think the model is a KTJ-302, which according to several sites that I've researched all claim it to be cast iron, even though it does (at least the top) looks like steel to me. I took a picture of the front of mine and pasted a photo I found of the back (which looks exactly like mine) because of where it's located.
If anyone has done a retrofit kit with a catalytic combuster or has known of anyone who has for a KTJ-302, please chime in. Thank you!

IMG_20221204_102754519.jpg Screenshot_20221204-155106-342.png

Yes, it's not uncommon for people to call old steel stoves "cast Iron" stoves. Sometimes they are partly right because the stove has a cast iron door, but in this case, it's fully a steel stove.

@BKVP would be the best authority on this model.

Reactions: FFFPatriot
Blaze King has never made a firebox that was made from cast iron. There are of course cast iron clad models.

There is not a single (ever!) catalytic retrofit device that has worked for more than a very short period, FOR ANY WOOD STOVE. Pulling no punches, they are a complete waste of your money.

Retrofits, including catalytic & electro static precipitators (ESP) have been studied (most recently in Fairbanks) and found to be of no help. Simply put, no silver bullet exists for reducing emissions in pre-emmissons controlled wood heaters.

If my thumb wasn't so tired, I'd list the numerous specific instances. Save $$ and buy a EPA approved, new or used wood stove.

Blaze King has never made a firebox that was made from cast iron. There are of course cast iron clad models.

There is not a single (ever!) catalytic retrofit device that has worked for more than a very short period, FOR ANY WOOD STOVE. Pulling no punches, they are a complete waste of your money.

Retrofits, including catalytic & electro static precipitators (ESP) have been studied (most recently in Fairbanks) and found to be of no help. Simply put, no silver bullet exists for reducing emissions in pre-emmissons controlled wood heaters.

If my thumb wasn't so tired, I'd list the numerous specific instances. Save $$ and buy a EPA approved, new or used wood stove.
Greatly appreciate the input. I'm not concerned about the emissions. I'm interested in prolonging burn time and containing heat longer/ using less wood, and was interested in the aftermarket catalytic combusters that claim to do the aforementioned things I just mentioned that sounds to be more of a gimmick than anything else.
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll just do my damper and flue Kung Fu with it as I've always done with my stoves in years past.

Greatly appreciate the input. I'm not concerned about the emissions. I'm interested in prolonging burn time and containing heat longer/ using less wood, and was interested in the aftermarket catalytic combusters that claim to do the aforementioned things I just mentioned that sounds to be more of a gimmick than anything else.
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll just do my damper and flue Kung Fu with it as I've always done with my stoves in years past.
Adding a cat isn't going to magically give you longer burn times cats simply allow you to run cleanly at lower temps which means they can be run longer. But without the proper air controls etc to do that burn time won't change.