Old Cement Removal - Pressure Washer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiatIgnis

Sep 26, 2016
Virginia
Anybody tried removing old stove cement with a pressure washer? Just trying to figure out more automated options vs a chisel and wire brush. I've tried a dremel (with wire wheel and grinding stone) and it works, but it is slow. I feel like an angle grinder might mess up the enamel.

Normally I use a screwdriver and a hammer to tap the tough stuff out.

Reactions: DUMF
It's sort of a given that whatever you do with an enameled stove there's likely to be a new chip or 2. I actually prefer the judicious use of the grinder as it's sort of lower impact if you will. Less banging may mean less touch-up when it's over, and keeping the screwdriver really sharp helps too.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Try a drill with a small wire wheel. It will be slower and have more control than an angle grinder but you should be able to press harder than with a Dremel. It should clean up fairly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.