Old fireplace questions from a newbie.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

caderade105

Dec 12, 2020
Alliance NE
This is the fireplace that we believe to be original to the house we bought. City records say the house was built in 1920 but we have photographs from 1917. Best we can tell that electrical, water and an addition were completed in 1920 and thats when the city started taxing it and considereal it "built." Main structure appears to be a kit home of some kind circa 1900. My questions are about the marked areas and these are my assumptions. 1 is a grate that slides side horizontally and allows more air into the fire from beneath. 2 Is the damper on a hinge. 3 I have no idea, maybe meant to redirect heat into the room. It is a small hinged door behind a grate with control lever that protrudes through the decorative grate. #4 is a push pull control that sounds like it does something behind the fireplace. Any input on how to best optimize the heat output would be great. The previous owners of 30 years did not use it. We have had the chimney inspected and repaired, however the company only could inform me about #1 and #2 and how to use the ash clean out door that drops into the basement. Thanks in advance!
20201212_083324~2.jpg

Last edited:
This is the fireplace that we believe to be original to the house we bought. City records say the house was built in 1920 but we have photographs from 1917. Best we can tell that electrical, water and an addition were completed in 1920 and thats when the city started taxing it and considereal it "built." Main structure appears to be a kit home of some kind circa 1900. My questions are about the marked areas and these are my assumptions. 1 is a grate that slides side horizontally and allows more air into the fire from beneath. 2 Is the damper on a hinge. 3 I have no idea, maybe meant to redirect heat into the room. It is a small hinged door behind a grate with control lever that protrudes through the decorative grate. #4 is a push pull control that sounds like it does something behind the fireplace. Any input on how to best optimize the heat output would be great. The previous owners of 30 years did not use it. We have had the chimney inspected and repaired, however the company only could inform me about #1 and #2 and how to use the ash clean out door that drops into the basement. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 269127
That is an old coal burning insert. Is the chimney lined?

We belive it was a coal stove originally, the chimney is brick structure and is lined with stainless steel. Since my post I have identified some parts stamped with EAJACKSON&BRO.

We belive it was a coal stove originally, the chimney is brick structure and is lined with stainless steel. Since my post I have identified some parts stamped with EAJACKSON&BRO.
Yes that was never meant to have wood burnt in it

Yes that was never meant to have wood burnt in it
Good to know thank you. We do plan on having a gas insert installed at some point. Thanks for replying. Are we going to do any harm by burning wood? I assume coal would be a lot hotter but I have less experience with coal than I do with wood.