Old Garrison Stove Rebricking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

horrid_golfer

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2006
I have just finished cleaning up and installing a Garrison II stove that my father had left gathering dust in his garage. Unfortunately, after two moves, most the bricks had fallen loose or broken into small pieces. I bought some new brick of the same size, but now I can't figure out the puzzle of refitting the intact pieces (angled cuts) and new bricks. Anybody got pictures of a Garrison's interior or advice on how to go about this rebricking? Jamie, Worcester, MA

have you looked on Ebay maybe there is a picture of the fire fox Do a search on this site for garrison and see what turns up maybe we have a member to contact and they could supply a picture. Personally I'm sctatching my head for a member Possibly Johny Tugs

Unfortuantely, EBay has pictures of a different model. It does have some nice pictures, nice picture of empty firebox and a nice picture of all the bricks neatly laid-out on the floor. So I won't be the only person wondering how to put this puzzle back together.

Just obtained a 1979 Garrison stove at the town dump this morning. Still had the brick in it. But also no idea hoe to install them. Found a site www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/20822 which shows the interior and various other views and diagrams of the stove. I have a few questions, where can i get the front key to lock/unlock the door? Any ideas on the BTUS generated and clearances to non- combustibles. I believe the combust clearances are 36"

My impatient fiance took it upon herself to "just do it" with regards to the brick layout one day while i was out. And it worked...

Turns out that you do not need to get brick under the side bricks (bracket has enough expansion room on sides to almost fit). After that revelation, the rest fit in rather easily. I'd post a pic if I had a digital camera

I saw the key on a wood stove vendors website, I think I saved a bookmark on my home PC. Will post if I did.

Which version of the Garrison do you have? My II still has the clearance diagram attached on the side. I will post later this evening.

Thank you. I tried my link that i posted earlier and couldn't get the image. I googled Garrison Stove and looked for 3D iwo woodstove air and the image shows the bricks along the back and the sides vertically with no bricks in the back corners. I have the plate on the back of my stove for clearances to combustible surfaces. But waht if any is the clearance to a combustible surface. I have porcelin tile with thin set mortar over the original brick. witha raised hearth with about a 12 inch clearance to the non-combustible surfaces.

Garrison Stove Clearances (top flue/rear flue)
I II III I+ II+
A 18/28 18/24 8/12 16/24 14/24
B 12/26 6/22 6/22 12/18 6/18
C 30/40 27/40 16/26 30/38 22/32
D 12/26 6/22 8/22 12/6 6/6
K 8/8 8/8 8/8 8/8 8/8
L 12/12 12/12 12/12 12/12 12/12
M 18/18 18/18 18/18 18/18 18/18

A= Side to Sidewall
B= Back to Rear Wall
C= Chimney Flue to Sidewall
D= Protected Chimney Flue to Rear Wall
K= Stove Side to edge of Hearth Extension
L= Stove back to edge of Hearth Extension
M= Stove front to edge of Hearth Extension

Remember though, this is based on early 80's code.

I can't find the site I saw the key. However, if you wanted to make one, the principal measurements are:
- 3/8" Dia Bar (mine is brass)
- 5/8"L x 1/8" Dia Pin (Steel)
- Pin centerline is 3/16" in from end
- end is beveled, approx 1/8" Dia

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.