Old Harman Accentra fire pot upgrade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
Has anyone tried the updated fire pot on the older versions of the accentra? The newer one with the air channels and different flame guide? Is it worth the money? Less carbon build up?

Reactions: tiger
Don't know about older Accentra fire pot, but 2020 version sure works great on my 1992 Vermont Castings Reliance which is very similar to a Harmon Accentra. I did add an extended "top shelf" (after the picture) to bring the flame out away from the very back as my stove has faux logs and I wanted the flame between them. My stove's original fire pot was cracked and suffered broken welds allowing air to leak past the fire without aiding combustion.

Have they changed it?

compare.jpg

This is the new version I was talking about. It looks different then the one you used.

I couldn’t post a pic for some reason. Here is the link. From what I’ve read it’s supposed to reduce carbon build up. I’m having an issue where the carbon is building up around the top bolts of the pot so heavily that I can’t get the flame fluid to seat properly. This is letting the flame go behind the guide. I’m having a hard time cleaning back there in that tight spot. The carbon is so hard it’s throwing sparks when I strike it.

They still sell the old version and the new version. I just wondered if the new version can be used or if anyone had tried it. I can’t find anything to the contrary and the only manual I can find for the Accentra is the new direct drive version. I can’t find the old chain drive version anywhere. Even on Harman s obsolete stove file. There is nothing there.

Last edited:
The one you link to is for the insert, and several other models, not aAccentra FS. I have seen more warped flame guides than anything, causing issues. I do believe that new design was more for poor ignition. But, Harman is stingy with their info. If yours is a insert, and you have doubts, get one.

Following. I just cleaned my parents Accentra FS. Tons of hard carbon build up. They always want to flame out around the flame guide and build up. My least favorite Harman stove. I did not realize there was an upgrades burn pot. The nuts would be a chore to get off it seams with all the build up....

I see that the linked one has two channels from the draw through portion that extend semi circular around and up above the auger outlet, might pull the flame away from glass for viewing in a insert. That top piece I added might be better called a flame guide, I was moving it outwards away from the back, up between faux logs. Other than that and the semi circle slots, looks much the same to me.

Mine too will build up a crust above the fire pit, maybe what those semi circle do is to maybe cook that off, but I just take a sharp cold chisle and a light hammer and chip the stuff off occasionally, vacuum it out .... COLD. Allowing the air to be drawn through them would deminish the air pulled through the holes under the fire, not my desire. Maybe they use a bigger exhaust fan to counter that?

As to nuts, they came off real easy with a "GearWrench" brand ratchet wrench then in 2020 after near 30 years of not being touched. I might have used a crows foot & extension on a 3/8 drive breaker bar first to breack them loose. My stove is much like the Accentra free standing stove. I did get a bit of black soot on my hands, sleeves, etc. They are studs from the back, you just take the nuts off. Did not even need the new gasket I bought.

1124201441a (640x417).jpg

Last edited:
It’s not a warped flame guide. That’s the first thing I replaced. No change. Guess I’ll try the rope gasket trick and see if that helps. I’d like to take the pot off but the carbon is built up so heavy and is so hard I don’t think I can get to the nuts. It’s going to take sand blasting to break through it enough to get a wrench on it. Probably be a summer job. I’ll limp along until colder weather then probably switch over to my Enviro M55 and hope it doesn’t fail.

Well,I think there has been a pot change for the old free standing ones, but still don't think it had the differences in the back, but in the front holes. Think I have the old manual with the old part number on one of these PC's, will look for it. I do remember flame guides being pushed up, but by pellets. Will think about it and look for info.

Has anyone tried the updated fire pot on the older versions of the accentra? The newer one with the air channels and different flame guide? Is it worth the money? Less carbon build up?
Seems like, so far, no one has said definitively whether this can retro-fit for you or not -- which sound like the excact question you are asking.

I am curious myself. My Accentra insert is working but, wow, ignition woes. Shut it down in March after a non-start and left it. Recently did a deep cleaning, and recently started using it. 1st morning, fired up in 6 minutes. 2nd morning, ignition in 8 minutes. 3rd morning, lit off in 10 minutes, and the following two mornings in 14 and 18 minutes. This AM, I though it was going to fail but it finally fired at 22 minutes. Yeah, I presume it needs an ignitor.

But I am not convinced I can do that myself, and am planning a service call, hopefully in the spring if I make it that far (I'll be in infinitely better financial position then)... and was thinking to get the ignitor and the upgraded burn pot at the same time, and a door gasket and perhaps auger motor while I am at it. But I'd hate to pay $$$ for all that only to find I could have upgraded the burn pot to a better performer.

BTY, did you ever do the air bypass tube upgrade?
No sir. I threatened to do it but never did. It’s quite a job to get the stove out due to its location so I always put off doing it. Perhaps when I fire up the Enviro next I will do that.

Reactions: Mt Bob
No sir. I threatened to do it but never did. It’s quite a job to get the stove out due to its location so I always put off doing it. Perhaps when I fire up the Enviro next I will do that.
So it is an insert? If so, then yes, get the upgraded pot. And new flame guide.

Seems like, so far, no one has said definitively whether this can retro-fit for you or not -- which sound like the excact question you are asking.

I am curious myself. My Accentra insert is working but, wow, ignition woes. Shut it down in March after a non-start and left it. Recently did a deep cleaning, and recently started using it. 1st morning, fired up in 6 minutes. 2nd morning, ignition in 8 minutes. 3rd morning, lit off in 10 minutes, and the following two mornings in 14 and 18 minutes. This AM, I though it was going to fail but it finally fired at 22 minutes. Yeah, I presume it needs an ignitor.

But I am not convinced I can do that myself, and am planning a service call, hopefully in the spring if I make it that far (I'll be in infinitely better financial position then)... and was thinking to get the ignitor and the upgraded burn pot at the same time, and a door gasket and perhaps auger motor while I am at it. But I'd hate to pay $$$ for all that only to find I could have upgraded the burn pot to a better performer.
Well,to be fair, he has never said if it was a FS or insert, and I cannot remember everyone's stoves! But, yes, in your case, get the new pot, also, get a new igniter cradle. Pretty easy to replace both. And, available aftermarket, much cheaper.

Oh, I see now. They made / created / designed a drop in place flame guide. I might would have used one with my new burn pot, but a piece of steel welded across there worked, but I do see why they made it to be "drop in place" removable, the bottom of the burn pot is curved and goes deep to the auger so a drop in guide up top would make for easier cleaning.

Oh, I see now. They made / created / designed a drop in place flame guide. I might would have used one with my new burn pot, but a piece of steel welded across there worked, but I do see why they made it to be "drop in place" removable, the bottom of the burn pot is curved and goes deep to the auger so a drop in guide up top would make for easier cleaning.
Yes, most Harman's were always that way, your VC was different, but people figured out a regular Harman pot works fine in your unit.

Reactions: tbear853
So it is an insert? If so, then yes, get the upgraded pot. And new flame guide.
No sir. I just looked at the pic and thought they had come up with an improvement. I didn’t fully scan the page I was looking at. Perhaps my gasket needs replaced. The condition of the pot is fine. Definitely something going on where those two nuts are. Way too much carbon building up there.

Well,2 years ago,maybe more, I had carbon buildup just around one of the top bolts,lol. Just kind of ignored it, just scraped it every time cleaned stove. Then, had small flame going up that side? Actually eroded,burned out a very small area of the flame guide. Was gonna weld it, but saw all the posts here about Harman flame guides. Got a new one, it was cheap. Old one "looked" fine. But what a difference when I laid new one on flat top of stove next to old one!! A little warpage goes a long way. Order a new one they are cheap. I got the aftermarket one seems to be holding up fine, and no carbon on that bolt since I put new guide in.

Yup. New flame guide was first thing I replaced. No change.

It’s the old one that has the half row in front of the auger. I think there is another version where that row has been eliminated.

Then that would be the really old one. Yep, I would weld them shut or get newer pot. Mine is old chain drive, yet has this pot,from factory, is a 2006.
1669932889480.png

Reactions: tbear853
Yes that’s the culprit. I’ll add welding them to the list.

Yes that’s the culprit. I’ll add welding them to the list.
Cool, there was a few people on here with older Harman's,with that old pot, that plugged those back holes with muffler patch,after cleaning a bit. Because it was winter, and they didn't want to pull the pot to weld,or replace with the newer. And it lasted for years,lol. If I stumble across the thread, will post.

Makes sense. I might be pulling it sooner then later, though. Last night something fried my 75” LED tv.
This morning my Harman started pushing pellets off the pot and ran the room up to 80*. I turned feed rate to 2 from 3.5 and the temp to 65 from 70 and it made absolutely no difference. Kept pushing pellets and increasing room heat.

The reason I mentioned the tv is because both of these are plugged into the same outlet. The tv was on a surge protector and the stove was not.

I’m not sure if we had a surge or not. Usually there are several things in the house that go into a beeping frenzy when the power goes out even if it’s just a flicker. That didn’t happen. Maybe there was a power drop. I have nothing that would detect that. Maybe it’s just coincidence. All I know is the two year old tv is shot and out of warranty and the stove might be toast too. I’m powering it down now and will unplug it and see what happens when I restart it.

I am noticing a huge amount of air being sucked past the hopper lid gasket. I couldn’t hear this with the fan running. I don’t think that would cause these symptoms though. 40 mph winds today might be causing this maybe.

Last edited: