Old Hearthstone we purchased at a auction we wanted info on.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deneenmarie

May 18, 2014
Schaghticoke
Hi we purchased a older Hearthstone Wood stove and we're not aware of if we over spent or not. We picked it up for $425. We would also like to know the name of the model and how much square footage this will heat. I'm hoping it will heat our home around 1,500 square feet. It's immaculate just needs a good cleaning. Also one more question being a new soapstone stove owner is how do we clean it when the time comes that it needs it? This wood stove has a mans name along with numbers on the back as well. Any assistance on this stove would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 968
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,748
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 578
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 595
Wow! I'd say you struck it rich! I don't know anything about the stove, but I'd pay $425 for this stove just to use it as a piece of art! It is beautiful. Tell us more about it. Does it have a catalytic combustor in it or burn tubes? Do you know how many sq. ft. the stove is? Great buy.

Don't know much about it except that it is the Hearthstone III. Or H3.

It is called an "ashpan". Yes it had one.

Hmm, looks like they tried a catalyst in '88. That would be worth investigating to see if it has one. Also, it looks like this stove had an option for an early attempt at electronic air control. Not sure how well this worked out. Check to see if the lower right side of the stove has an electronics bay,

Last edited:
Yeah if it was the electronic control version I would figure that it is a really nice plant stand. But it doesn't look like the control box is on the right side, hard to tell from the pic, so it is probably the cat version. That one seemed to hang around for a while. Everybody was scrambling to meet EPA requirements then and cats were a somewhat easy try at it.

That is one knocked-out good looking stove. I agree with Nick. I would have paid that just to have it.

I had a Hearthstone harvest in 1989 and it was a cat stove.If it has a cat it would be on the back bottom with a heat shield over it.Pictures of the back would help.According to the manual this stove has a 8hr. burn time,that's not very long for a cat stove,my guess it's non cat.My Harvest would burn for 14 to 16hrs. on a load and it easily heated 1500 sq.ft.The builder of the stove signs their name on it.As far as cleaning it,just wipe it down with a damp rag when the stove is cool.

I had a Hearthstone harvest in 1989 and it was a cat stove.If it has a cat it would be on the back bottom with a heat shield over it.Pictures of the back would help.According to the manual this stove has a 8hr. burn time,that's not very long for a cat stove,my guess it's non cat.My Harvest would burn for 14 to 16hrs. on a load and it easily heated 1500 sq.ft.The builder of the stove signs their name on it.As far as cleaning it,just wipe it down with a damp rag when the stove is cool.

I went out and checked it after looking at the manual it us a Hearthstone III manual and not electronic thank God. The stove is immaculate inside. It appears that it was hardly used. So now I know that this can heat approx 8,000 square feet in which my husband advised we are a 1,200 square foot house (2 bedrooms up which heat rises) not 1,500 so this will work. Last year we had a insert with a blower that worked only with the blower increasing our power bill being subsidized by a non vent gas stove in our kitchen. The burn time on that stove was horrid we were lucky to get 4 hours fully loaded. I think we will hang onto the insert next year to make sure this one performs as we're hoping it will.

I think that should be 8000 cu ft. As a freestanding stove it should do a better job of heating, especially if the stove is somewhat centrally located in an open floorplan. Be sure to have plenty of fully seasoned dry wood on hand.

Reactions: stovelark
I went out and checked it after looking at the manual it us a Hearthstone III manual and not electronic thank God. The stove is immaculate inside. It appears that it was hardly used. So now I know that this can heat approx 8,000 square feet in which my husband advised we are a 1,200 square foot house (2 bedrooms up which heat rises) not 1,500 so this will work. Last year we had a insert with a blower that worked only with the blower increasing our power bill being subsidized by a non vent gas stove in our kitchen. The burn time on that stove was horrid we were lucky to get 4 hours fully loaded. I think we will hang onto the insert next year to make sure this one performs as we're hoping it will.

You may have unwittingly opened a can of worms there... the problem you're describing is not necessarily one of the stove. 5 will get you 10 that your wood isn't properly dried so it's killing your burn time.

Reactions: Grisu
You may have unwittingly opened a can of worms there... the problem you're describing is not necessarily one of the stove. 5 will get you 10 that your wood isn't properly dried so it's killing your burn time.

Agreed. I would also like to know the insert model, the way it was installed (full liner?), and the wood that was burned before concluding that the stove will solve all your heating needs. 1200 sqft are not that large of a place and most mid-size inserts should be able to heat that area even in a not-so-well insulated home.

I wouldn't expect any miracles from this little guy- it is a beaut though. Don't know if it will handle 1200sqft either, you'll be feeding it quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.