Old maul gets new handle!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
After over 25 years my maul's fiberglass handle was finally starting to get a little loose (that was the second handle, the first one 30+ years ago was wood). Yesterday after I got done making firewood for the day I cut the old handle off and put the new one in. Today I tried it out with the new handle.

Here it is, just moments before it's maiden swing:
IMG_0035%20(600x800).jpg

Here is a view of the double tree I was working on today, tree #1 is all cut up and I ran out of time to work on tree #2. The phone started ringing and people needed firewood delivered. I delivered two loads this afternoon before milking the cows, then another load tonight in the dark. Just as I got back home, the phone was ringing again. Another customer needs a load delivered, but he wants me to wait until tomorrow night after he gets home from work (a darkness delivery after milking). Anyway, tree #1 is all split and hauled to the stack, but tree #2 will have to wait until tomorrow or later depending on how busy I get:
IMG_0037%20(800x600).jpg

But yes, I did manage to do some splitting with the new handle today. I actually liked it. It seemed to have a, for lack of a better word, 'familiar' feel to it. I thought the curve would take some getting used to, but I don't notice any difference, the old fiberglass handle was straight. It's a little lighter than the old handle, which maybe gives it a slight top-heavy feel to it, but nothing that could annoy me. The knob on the end keeps my hand from slipping off (hmm, maybe that's where the familiar feel comes from?) And here is some of the wood I worked over with it today:
IMG_0038%20(800x600).jpg

...and it stands up just like it's predecessor! Must be in the genes. :)

Shari

good for another 25, I guess you got your moneys worth! Lets see 25 + 30 + X =, I am trying to guess your age, or was that you dad's maul?

If that's an 8lb maul, I think I've got it's long lost twin brother.

It was my grandfathers and I inherited it a few years ago when I bought a home w/ a wood stove.

I searched for 2 years for a new handle as the old one was breaking up in the back. Luckily, the old handle held together and I finally found a replacement. I didn't feel comfortable buying online and the selection in stores I have found isn't so great in my area. I would have bought two but they only had 1 that was what I needed!

I love this old style maul w/ the sharp axe like face. My friends maul's w/ the wide modern face just don't split as well for me.

Also, i don't know about you but I much prefer the feel of a wood handle over a metal or fiberglass one. I have ones of each. To me, the metal just plain rings your hands w/ high rate vibrations from time to time. The fiberglass feels like I'm swinging into a lump of clay, just plain dead. To me, wood is the only one that feels right in my hands.

pen

If'n I remember correctly, Quads uses a 6lb maul. Quads, My 6lb maul with the axe handle is way more comfortable to use than my 8lb with a straight handle. You get used to it real quickly. I still go back and forth on which one I like better.

Did you end up soaking the head, or just drop it in there and hammer some metal wedges in it?

Looks like one of those "ergonomic" fancy designed ones with "sexy" curves.
I bet it splits even better now.
Looks an inch or 2 longer than the old one also.
Nice pics :)

PS, don't loan it out, I got mine (with the wooden handle) back with multiple "oops I missed" scars.
Broke a few days later.

Yes, it stands up as good as, or better than, the old one! First thing I had to try before I had even took a swing with it.

Well GolfandWoodNut, you have to do a little more adding than that to figure out my age. But, even so, it was my dad that bought the maul. He never used it, didn't like it, he always used a double bit ax. I liked his maul, so I always used it myself. One day I broke the handle, he hollered at me for it (I can still hear him to this day!) and I bought a new handle (the one that I just replaced). It's been my maul ever since.

I do have to letter my name on it again someday. I didn't want to waste the stickers right away until I found out if I liked the handle or not.

Danno is correct Pen, it is a 6lb maul. Like you, I do not care for the modern mauls' shape. I have a brand new one hanging on the wall that I bought a few years ago and have never taken a swing with it. I have tried a friend's a couple times and it splits terrible! That blunt shape is awful. Which is why I chose to replace the handle instead of using the new maul that is hanging on the wall.

No Danno, I didn't soak it in anything. It came with a wood wedge and a smaller metal wedge. I drove the wood wedge in, then drove the metal wedge in crosswise. It still didn't look tight enough to me, so I dug around in my piles of junk and found a second metal wedge which I also drove in crosswise. So it has one wood wedge and two metals ones in it.....so far!

Nobody touches my maul Dave, except me!

quads, I've even drove a washer into the handle of an axe. I was sure I had some wedges but couldn't find them. Saw a washer laying on the bench so drove that in. It is still there and the head does not get loose at all. Whatever works.....

quads said:
(hmm, maybe that's where the familiar feel comes from?)

No - I will NOT let this slip by without comment. BAhhaha :lol:

Thanks for the first laugh of the morning.

Good looking handle on that maul. It is the same "style" that I have always used on my heavy axe head.

Jags said:
quads said:
(hmm, maybe that's where the familiar feel comes from?)

No - I will NOT let this slip by without comment. BAhhaha :lol:

Thanks for the first laugh of the morning.

Good looking handle on that maul. It is the same "style" that I have always used on my heavy axe head.

I missed that until you quoted. Thanks for the afternoon chuckle.

Ha! I was wondering if anybody was going to get that....... I have truckers for friends and they like to pick on J.B. Hunt drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.