Old Monticello coal stove with broken shaker grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

majordan

Nov 25, 2008
Boston area
I'm new to this forum. I have an old coal stove, it says 'Monticello' on the front. it is a somewhat large steel affair that I cannot get any hits on with on-line searches. my guess it that it is 30-40 years old if not more.
My problem is that it uses a cast iron shaker grate of approx. 14" diameter. Unfortunately the one I have/had has disintegrated into pieces and is unusable AND I cannot find a replacement. I have found shaker grates of 12 3/4" at most except for one 16" one that is too large to use.
the 12 3/4" one just touches the edges it is supposed to rest on, then falls through.
Does anyonoe know where I can find/purchase a shaker grate in the 13 1/2" to 14" diameter range?
my local places and on'line searches have turned up nothing.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Would you be willing to share any info on this unit? I need some specs like burn times on wood and coal, heating output/capacity. How much is one of these worth? Thank you

Post on the coal forums at NEPA at the bottom of my signature line. Don't forget you can get it welded up even though it's cast. It's easy for someone with the proper setup and who can get it hot first and then let it cool slowly afterwards. They might even be able to make you one up from steel if it can't be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.