Old oil furnace to wood stove (newbie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dogdog130

Jan 8, 2019
nc
We just bought a house and garage and i am looking at not using my old oil furnce and only use wood stove in the garage what best way to connect it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We just bought a house and garage and i am looking at not using my old oil furnce and only use wood stove in the garage what best way to connect it

Well by code the wood stove and furnace need separate chimneys. And a wood stove cannot be used in a garage

Tell us the full plan. Will you be moving the stove from the garage into the house to replace the oil burner? If that is the plan, can you post a picture of the stove and another picture that shows where you want to place the stove?

I may be wrong, but I think he has a heated workshop that he wants to replace the furnace with a stove, @begreen. My friend did the same thing in his garage. Removed the furnace and put a free stove. Also ripped the roof off built a taller one, and installed a car lift. No codes. No permits, no nothing.

I may be wrong, but I think he has a heated workshop that he wants to replace the furnace with a stove, @begreen. My friend did the same thing in his garage. Removed the furnace and put a free stove. Also ripped the roof off built a taller one, and installed a car lift. No codes. No permits, no nothing.
Yes she that what i am doing i was going to use the air handler to have pipeing thst ran to have heat moved around room

Just because they ignored codes doesn't mean they don't apply or that insurance will cover it if something goes wrong.

There are two identical threads going on this. One here and one in the Classics.

@dogdog130 please clarify what you want to use. Is this a old wood furnace or a wood stove? What make and model?

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
There are two identical threads going on this. One here and one in the Classics.

@dogdog130 please clarify what you want to use. Is this a old wood furnace or a wood stove? What make and model?
Not sure i didnt mean to post to the old wood furnace ill post pictures of it in a moment

The main concern is safety so post a picture of where you want to install this too.

Not sure i didnt mean to post to the old wood furnace ill post pictures of it in a moment

Ok one of us will delete the other thread

Here pictures of stove and furnace

af4b0edb0c7fe7575eb97b1585e799fe.jpg 12c6fffb95f7398d2d84b0361d65d7c7.jpg 7bc0d0691ceb88f4ee058c681294a743.jpg 7a611bedb72856fe88f9c7d2bfb66071.jpg 2daa2c2f7eac848c0d2b4f686c4e26af.jpg e57be7b26a4a266765a8b6b575013dc6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that looks like a boiler not a hot air furnace. You really can't hook it into an air distribution system

Ok that looks like a boiler not a hot air furnace. You really can't hook it into an air distribution system

Ummmm. I'm seeing a fan for forced air peeking out from under the sheet metal. Boilers don't have those.

By the way, what's that big RAT doing in the picture!

Ummmm. I'm seeing a fan for forced air peeking out from under the sheet metal. Boilers don't have those.

My father in law sent them to me that his dog

How is it a boiler

The holes at the back of the stove allowed cool water to enter at the lower hole and because hot water rises it leaves through the higher hole , probably a gravity system ( boilers are designed to keep heat inside , open the stove and take some pics of the inside . I’m not trying to pick on your post at all just trying to save you frustration . This will not be able to heat the plenum of the oil burner you would need to shut the blower off every few minutes or you’ll be blowing cold air .

Reactions: bholler

Umm yeah it's a oil hot air furnace and a wood boiler.