Old oil furnace to wood stove (newbie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Man we got it from said just had the single pupe hooked to it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Pics of interior should provide an answer , it is possible the previous owner added a diy domestic hot water coil . But from looking at the pics this configuration does not appear to be a stove , this fire box is huge looks at least 3’ Long

That looks like a homemade contraption of a stove to me. Don't I see light inside one of those holes on the back of it, lower right?

Still not clear what you are planning to heat with this. If it's just a garage, an air handler shouldn't be needed or serve much added good.

We haven't even touched on flue considerations.

But either way and no matter what, you first need to ask your insurance person if you can put a wood burner (stove, boiler, furnace, or contraption) in your garage. Even if the answer is yes, and you put an unlisted contraption there, I highly doubt they will pay on a claim if anything bad were to happen.

Both the "stove" and current furnace look like they are on their last legs as is and need upgrading. Not worth putting time or money into either.

dogdog130 this simply is not going to work out. Hopefully you don't have anything invested yet. Can you return this old wood boiler?

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
My boys garage is roughly 20’x30’ and tall. He did insulate the ceiling and garage door but the windows are very old single pane glass. The walls are block.
He got an old ‘fake’ Jøtul f118 ‘knock off’ for free, and it heats the garage pretty darn well. Just saying.

Sorry for the delay on pic of inside we have death in family here picture of the inside
8e580e11a328889966d589a69646ec68.jpg

I think I figured out the plate , that acts as a damper and baffle when wood is burning and up to temp that piece is dropped into position and the brace locks it in place .

That was stuff in it when we bought it and havent got to mess with it been working and family death been to busy to mess with it

Honestly it looks like scrap metal to me

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
That was stuff in it when we bought it and havent got to mess with it been working and family death been to busy to mess with it

Sorry for your loss . Again I’ll tell you this is definitely not advised or safe but since it’s a garage install it’s possible to use this as a semi suitable stove provided you make some modifications