Old shenendoah woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ttamoneypit

Apr 24, 2009
N East PA
Has anyone done any modifications to one of these? I think most of the heat goes right up the chimney. It does have a magic heat reclaimer ,but I'm sure its still wasting a lot of fuel.

Maybe I've seen too many youtube videos, but I'm thinking about adding air tubes for secondary burn and modifying the top inside so its not a straight shot for the smoke. just a metal plate with holes more to the front or sides.

Or am I just wasting my time? I would love to upgrade to a Harmon TLC2000 or even a HotBlast furnace ,but right now I don't want to waste money on anything.

There are some threads here on adding a baffle and secondary air system. Some are successful and some not so much so. For sure most anything will likely be better than the noisy creosote maker presently on the flue.

If you have good seasoned wood, then there are better options that will produce more heat using a lot less wood. The Englander 30NC is under $1000 and a good investment if the goal is 24/7 heating with a clean flue and less wood consumption.