Old Stove pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KC2004

Nov 25, 2020
Kansas City
Wanted to share some photos from an antique shop we stopped in this past week. Part of their business is refinishing old wood stoves and they have several beautiful stoves on display. A friend of mine from high school’s father has owned the shop for over 40 years.

5C98B0C0-04B4-48B1-B85C-524B19F48598.jpeg475AA2F8-C881-416F-9B66-85F8B841DBE4.jpeg29609ABF-584F-4212-8228-0B2E3B7AF78C.jpegFEC21920-FFD2-4DCC-B8FD-95DC4BFFE222.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Todd
The Round Oak and Florence HotBlast have over fire air rings. Pioneers in burning smoke before it goes out the chimney. Funny how that technology disappeared for years and re-emerges to meet epa demands.

I have one of each right here. The Round Oak I have has a round base. The square base is more desirable as captures more ash the a round base does.

Many people still use these stoves for primary heat today. The Florence Hot Blast more so then the round oak.

The Round Oak and Florence HotBlast have over fire air rings. Pioneers in burning smoke before it goes out the chimney. Funny how that technology disappeared for years and re-emerges to meet epa demands.

I have one of each right here. The Round Oak I have has a round base. The square base is more desirable as captures more ash the a round base does.

Many people still use these stoves for primary heat today. The Florence Hot Blast more so then the round oak.

I’m curious how efficient these are compared to modern stoves. I don’t know anything about them. I appreciate the design/craftsmanship.

No idea of the efficiency rating. If you have a well insulated house heating with coal can be very rewarding. My house isn’t insulated so I burn more coal then a well insulated house would. I’ve heated with coal for many years. I find it easier to manage than wood. The mess isn’t really any worse than wood. I usually manage 12 hour burn times. Shake the stove down and reload. Repeat 12 hours later. Having said that I don’t live in coal country and the price of coal has more then doubled since Biden was elected. It’s just not cost effective anymore. People in coal country get it far more cheaper the here.

No idea of the efficiency rating. If you have a well insulated house heating with coal can be very rewarding. My house isn’t insulated so I burn more coal then a well insulated house would. I’ve heated with coal for many years. I find it easier to manage than wood. The mess isn’t really any worse than wood. I usually manage 12 hour burn times. Shake the stove down and reload. Repeat 12 hours later. Having said that I don’t live in coal country and the price of coal has more then doubled since Biden was elected. It’s just not cost effective anymore. People in coal country get it far more cheaper the here.
The price of coal has actually gone up less percentage wise than most other fuels.

I’m curious how efficient these are compared to modern stoves. I don’t know anything about them. I appreciate the design/craftsmanship.
Most pictured there are coal stoves and there hasn't been much development in that area in a long time. There just isn't enough market for it for anyone to bother interesting in it.

As far as wood burning stoves from that area would typically be in the 20%-30%range compared to 70%-80% for modern stoves.

The price of coal has actually gone up less percentage wise than most other fuels.
It probably depends on location. Two years ago I paid $275 per ton for anthracite this year it’s $575 per ton. Out east the price increase hasn’t been as drastic.

It probably depends on location. Two years ago I paid $275 per ton for anthracite this year it’s $575 per ton. Out east the price increase hasn’t been as drastic.
Well that increase simply in transportation costs. And that is one of the big reasons coal has lost popularity steadily for decades now