Old stove uses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boxerdogheidi said:
I used mine to boil sap for maple syrup.

Now that brings back memories..never boiled on a wood stove, but the very first year my brother and father made syrup is was on an old caboose potbelly stove- 5 gallons of sap, 12 hours of boiling- 3 ounces of syrup.

Let's just say the operation has grown from those humble beginnings.

One use I don't think I saw mentioned was to use the old stove to fire a wood-drying kiln. You can use green wood in it because you aren't trying to extract all the heat you can, just enough to raise the temps inside the box to maybe 100ºF. That and a good fan and you save yourself a year's wait or more. I thought of doing it inside my SIL's panel truck that died. Already got a kiln, though. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.