Old Style Heatform Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JMK1153

Nov 4, 2021
New Hampshire
I moved into a new house a few years ago and it has an old style heatilator. We have had the chimney cleaned and inspected at this point but I have heard different things in regards to the use of this type of fireplace and I have not had much luck finding conclusive answers.

I understand how the fireplace works but I have been given mixed answers on whether or not the fireplace doors should remain open or closed while in use. I know in general for wood fires, they should remain open during use. Given this fireplace is a little different, I wasn’t sure if this is an exception.

I’m also curious if I need to turn the fans on when the fireplace is in use or if I can just attempt to use it like a regular fireplace.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I moved into a new house a few years ago and it has an old style heatilator. We have had the chimney cleaned and inspected at this point but I have heard different things in regards to the use of this type of fireplace and I have not had much luck finding conclusive answers.

I understand how the fireplace works but I have been given mixed answers on whether or not the fireplace doors should remain open or closed while in use. I know in general for wood fires, they should remain open during use. Given this fireplace is a little different, I wasn’t sure if this is an exception.

I’m also curious if I need to turn the fans on when the fireplace is in use or if I can just attempt to use it like a regular fireplace.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Some pictures might help

The five favorite sounds I have ever heard in my life are:

Wife saying, "Yes baby, you are right"
The sound of bacon frying in a skillet.
Ribeye crusting up over live coals.
Bottle of Guiness opening.
My old heatilator crumping into the back lawn when dropped off my second floor deck.

Good luck and best wishes.

Some pictures might help
Yes, fair point. I’m not entirely sure how to figure out what fireplace model this is. I haven’t been able to find anything in there with a serial number so not sure if these pictures will prove much help.

The fireplace door that’s on there now has to remain open when a fire is going but if this type of fireplace requires a closed door, I’ll have to look into getting new ceramic doors that can withstand the heat.

5B1F6A5D-A36A-4905-A5C1-228829B9832C.jpeg C3B46FFB-B313-449B-AE64-A29ED47AAA96.jpeg 8BEA38E9-11A4-4692-9643-7FA222CD22B0.jpeg 7A3EAAD4-A92F-4C9E-9E43-8B12CA942744.jpeg AB5DDABF-49B1-4176-9F50-7CCD401F90D4.jpeg

Yes, fair point. I’m not entirely sure how to figure out what fireplace model this is. I haven’t been able to find anything in there with a serial number so not sure if these pictures will prove much help.

The fireplace door that’s on there now has to remain open when a fire is going but if this type of fireplace requires a closed door, I’ll have to look into getting new ceramic doors that can withstand the heat.

View attachment 284876 View attachment 284877 View attachment 284878 View attachment 284879 View attachment 284880
Ok that is just a heat form with a set of doors added. The glass is probably just tempered glass which won't handle rapid heat changes. Most times if you close them at the start of the fire and keep them closed it will be fine. But closing them on a hot fire or opening them when hot will crack them. But without having the manual for the doors it's just a guess. Either way it will never be an efficient heater.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Ok that is just a heat form with a set of doors added. The glass is probably just tempered glass which won't handle rapid heat changes. Most times if you close them at the start of the fire and keep them closed it will be fine. But closing them on a hot fire or opening them when hot will crack them. But without having the manual for the doors it's just a guess. Either way it will never be an efficient heater.

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, I appreciate it.

Just to clarify…you think this fireplace as a whole is essentially useless and won’t heat the room regardless of whether I use it with open doors or if I buy ceramic doors that I can keep shut? It did seem like the previous owners used it so I guess I will give it a shot with low expectations.

I do have the manual for the doors themselves (that’s all I have). It does say to keep them open so no question there. Was more asking for this type of fireplace in general.

Also, do you think there’s any harm in using this type of fireplace without turning the fans on? Not sure what the impact that would have.

It will provide some heat to the room both radiantly and convectively thru the heat exchange tubes on top. You can safely run it without the blower(s) running, but at a lower heat output. Close the doors as the coals die down to reduce room air being sucked up the chimney as things cool down.

Reactions: JMK1153
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, I appreciate it.

Just to clarify…you think this fireplace as a whole is essentially useless and won’t heat the room regardless of whether I use it with open doors or if I buy ceramic doors that I can keep shut? It did seem like the previous owners used it so I guess I will give it a shot with low expectations.

I do have the manual for the doors themselves (that’s all I have). It does say to keep them open so no question there. Was more asking for this type of fireplace in general.

Also, do you think there’s any harm in using this type of fireplace without turning the fans on? Not sure what the impact that would have.
It may heat that room fine. But in some cases it sucks so much air out of the house that it cools the rest of the house down. But there is only one way to know