Old Window Greenhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We sort of did this by recycling large picture windows and some side windows and doors that were removed from the house. Truth be told I would have done things a bit differently with what I have learned, but it does work after a fashion.

We sort of did this by recycling large picture windows and some side windows and doors that were removed from the house. Truth be told I would have done things a bit differently with what I have learned, but it does work after a fashion.
Just what I am looking for...
What things would you have done different? I would prefer to learn from your mistakes lol.

Our greenhouse has an insulated cement floor. The idea was to create a heatsink to retain heat. If I did it again I would have a gravel floor and soil beneath the bed(s). The south-facing roof is double-wall UV plastic which is ok, but it knocks down about 20% of the light. It overhangs the vertical south windows by about a foot. This creates a shadow line that reduces light to the bed right in front of the south windows during spring and fall due to the sun's angle. Had I sloped the south windows, more light would fall on the beds.

inside_greenhouse_web.jpgIMG_0190web.jpg

First, that is a wonderful greenhouse. I specifically like the cement planters for heat retention.

I already have a foundation done and filled with gravel. I was considering pour concrete, but I think I will stick with large pavers on the gravel based on your advice.

The sill boards on the foundation are treated lumber, but do you think I would be OK going with regular lumber going up from there? There will be moisture but it is all going to be painted. I am concerned that the treated lumber will warp a lot more with the temperature changes and maybe crack the windows.

First, that is a wonderful greenhouse. I specifically like the cement planters for heat retention.

I already have a foundation done and filled with gravel. I was considering pour concrete, but I think I will stick with large pavers on the gravel based on your advice.

The sill boards on the foundation are treated lumber, but do you think I would be OK going with regular lumber going up from there? There will be moisture but it is all going to be painted. I am concerned that the treated lumber will warp a lot more with the temperature changes and maybe crack the windows.
Thanks. it is pretty in spite of my design errors. Yes, just the sill boards are PT. The rest is conventional lumber. From the north side, it looks like a cabin and someone could turn it into one if desired. The interior is insulated with 1.5" foam board between the stud cavities. The shakes are old-growth hand-split cedar.

greenhouse_7-09 008.JPG greenhouse-002web.jpg

The foundation is almost complete. Just have to glue the last sill boards down. I had to wait on a "go" from the wife on the door location. I also have a start on the front wall, which will be the tallest and have the door in it. My plan is to build the front and back walls first and stand them up. Then, build the roof on. I'm not going to permanently screw the windows in until the entire structure is up and painted. The wife is going to have to scrap and paint all of them before they go in anyway. I am also going to prime all of the boards with Kilz before I even screw them together and do the finish painting while its standing. I will start taking progress pictures and posting.

That is really nice looking
Thanks. I figure that it could be converted into a nice little cottage if desired by the next owners.

Anyone built an old window greenhouse? Starting the project and just looking for advice.
Keep you eye on Facebook marketplace for used windows and materials for your build. You can make something not look like Frankenstein built it if you are open to adjustments of your plan as well as being creative and having some fun at it.

You know, notching them isn't a bad idea. I may go with 2x6s after all. Still need to look at what roofing I already bought and see what else I need before I make any purchasing decisions for the roof yet.

Another question... The clear corrugated roofing has foam pieces that fill the ends where the ridges are. I know I want to keep in as much heat as possible but might it be a good idea to leave these out? Its not a lot of air, but maybe enough to let the greenhouse "breath?"

You know, notching them isn't a bad idea. I may go with 2x6s after all. Still need to look at what roofing I already bought and see what else I need before I make any purchasing decisions for the roof yet.

Another question... The clear corrugated roofing has foam pieces that fill the ends where the ridges are. I know I want to keep in as much heat as possible but might it be a good idea to leave these out? Its not a lot of air, but maybe enough to let the greenhouse "breath?"
I'm not sure how well that will work. They keep bugs and spiders out. Otherwise, the channels are perfect homes for them.

Finished the front and back walls. I am priming everything before I put it up. I plan on getting my 2x6s for the rafters this afternoon if the rain stops and spending the day tomorrow cutting and painting them.

AC0A2CC4-4964-4C6B-B999-D762ACEEE07C.JPG