old Woodstock Classic - flue baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgesek

Jan 2, 2015
CT
I have an older (non cat) Woodstock Classic that seems prone to creating chimney fires. I realize part of this is poor burning practice (I'm learning) and not perfectly seasoned wood, but the design also seems like a strong draft will suck the flames right up the flue and ignite whatever creosote might be in there? Should there be a baffle of some sort in there to prevent this? I'm capable of fabricating something but would like to hear some ideas of what might work best. Also, does anyone know if a cat could be added to this stove? Woodstock sells the complete baffle/cat assembly for the modern version. If it could be made to go in would it work or is there something I'm missing (does it need a source of secondary air, for example?)

Here's a pic inside the firebox (top open). Thanks for any help.

-Chris
20160120_212127.jpg

Last edited:
You could install a damper in the pipe before it goes up the flue which would do part of what you are asking about. it doesn't look like you have much clearance before the flue though. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can chime in about the benefits of a damper in the pipe vs in the stove. hope that helped

Status
Not open for further replies.