Older Morso 2B bricks/liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ADK Mike

Nov 4, 2022
Just acquired a refurbished older Morso 2B standard (no glass) Looks good and has side fire bricks, no back bricks but a setting against the back of the stove. The top baffle (smoke shelf) is one piece and is sitting properly in in the brackets cast in the stove sidewalls. The top baffel does not extend all the way to the back of the stove and I observed the flame path directly up the stove pipe and not wrapping around the top baffle. Should I have fire bricks in the back and should the top baffle extend all the way to the back of the stove? Maybe the plate in the back is another top baffle that fell down. I cant find any parts diagrams that match this vintage 2B. Any thoughts?
Thank you.

2b1.jpg 2b2.jpg

It’s hard to tell with the stove full of ash and those bricks in place it almost looks like it’s a custom job that someone just did to add fire bricks so they welded some brackets on the sides.

It’s hard to tell with the stove full of ash and those bricks in place it almost looks like it’s a custom job that someone just did to add fire bricks so they welded some brackets on the sides.
Should the top baffle extend all the way to the back of the stove or should it be a couple inches short? Thanks again.

The baffle should make it all the way to the back. Maybe 1/2” short is normal, 2” short is too much.